Menu

Honda Element/CRV 110K Service

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum Honda Element/CRV 110K Service

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I’m going to be posting all 3 videos in the series to this thread. This is the first one.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      hondaxacurahondaxacura
      Participant

Just thought I would post this since I recently did a spark plug replacement myself. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-0630111antisieze.pdf

Lord IhcalamLord Ihcalam
        Participant

good video. one word of advice for the average non mechanic doing something like this, make SURE you have a transmission dipstick before you drain the trans fluid. some modern cars dont come with a provision for the average DIY person to fill the transmission back up. found that out the hard way on a malibu.

Keymaster

[quote=”hondaxacura” post=46416]Just thought I would post this since I recently did a spark plug replacement myself. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-0630111antisieze.pdf%5B/quote%5D

Good information. Thanks for the post.

Keymaster

[quote=”Lord Ihcalam” post=46423]good video. one word of advice for the average non mechanic doing something like this, make SURE you have a transmission dipstick before you drain the trans fluid. some modern cars dont come with a provision for the average DIY person to fill the transmission back up. found that out the hard way on a malibu.[/quote]

Thanks for the input but the video was for the Element/CRV which I know for a fact have a place to fill the transmission. It’s a good point you make however and if in the future I do a video on the service of a vehicle without the ability to fill the transmission easily I’ll make sure to include that.

ronaldronald
              Participant

i know you quickly mentioned this on the video, but if your car didnt have an ATF change at all within the maintenance schedule, would you change it at all at any time if there were no ill symptoms? using genuine fluid that is.

Keymaster

Here’s part 2

David ReyesDavid Reyes
                  Participant

Why the fluid coming out of the Diff is Red ande the one going in is transparent if you are using the factory requerid suff?

Keymaster

It’s just old. I know it’s the correct fluid, I replaced it myself 5 years ago.

Dustin HicksDustin Hicks
                      Participant

Eric,
                        at 6:38 in the video, is the rear lower control arm bushing worn/torn? Or does it seem so just because the arm is unloaded?

AlexAlex
                        Participant

5 years ago, it was Honda Dual pump fluid which was red in color. 2 or 3 years ago, they switched to dual pump fluid II, which is clear-ish in color.

aaronac8aaronac8
                          Participant

Eric, I know you mention that different color coolants can not be mixed. So what is your opinion on a coolant like “Peak Long Life 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze and Coolant” that claims it is for ALL makes and models?

Also, this product description mentions that “Long Life coolant technology is formulated for use in all automobiles and light-duty trucks; OEM approved for GM, Ford, Chrysler and Honda vehicles”: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_long-life-50-50-prediluted-antifreeze-and-coolant-%281-gallon%29-peak_7020021-p?searchTerm=antifreeze#fragment-1

Lord IhcalamLord Ihcalam
                            Participant

good question! i’d also like to know this since im doing a coolant change on my saturn this spring and it has factory orange in it now.

also what do you think about cleaning spark plugs rather than replacing them?

bigmeatbigmeat
                              Participant

I looked at an element today. What is the reliability of this vehicle? The Elements I see in my neck of the woods have 90 to 100,000 miles and go for 7 to 10 thousands. Will these go to to 200 k?

RichieRichie
                                Participant

[quote=”moparfan7008″ post=46996]Eric,
                                  at 6:38 in the video, is the rear lower control arm bushing worn/torn? Or does it seem so just because the arm is unloaded?[/quote]

My thoughts too when I saw it. I’d be interested to hear of any nifty ideas on changing these compliance bushings if anyone has any to put forward. I had a tool for it years ago and it was really expensive, but never got it back from a borrower. The same design of bushing is in the Accords and Civics too (possibly a different size, Never seen an Element before. :))

Dustin HicksDustin Hicks
                                  Participant

I normally just press them in & out with the 20 ton HF press I have. Another option is to see if you can find “loaded” control arms, as I did for the wife’s car.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…