Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Honda J series engine Q (J35A6 in an 05 Oddy)

Honda J series engine Q (J35A6 in an 05 Oddy)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Honda J series engine Q (J35A6 in an 05 Oddy)

• Creator
    Topic
    DavidDavid
    Participant

While doing the valves on our 05 Odyssey (van has 243k miles on it – for the most part, exhausts were tight and intake was loose with few exceptions (cyl 3 exhaust valves were in spec, and on cyl 4 and 5, one exhaust valve was loose and one was tight) – anyway – when I was disconnecting the connectors to the coil packs, when I pushed in the tab to release the connector on cylinder 4, the little tab snapped off. I put everything back together, and used a tie to hold it in place (realistically, it’s on there pretty good – it would be hard to imagine it backing out). Does anyone know of a repair kit to replace one of the coil pack connectors? (all I have been able to find is the whole engine harness – and since it’s $300, I’ll live with the twine for now (was nervous about using a zip tie as it would rest right on one of the wires and I was worried it would cut into it)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

Is this what you need?
        I tried to add a link but can’t, so look at item 222271288584 on ebay.
        Hope that helps—and no I’m not an ebay seller.

DavidDavid
        Participant

that is definitely the plug – I am a little leery of buying and splicing in a 12 year old plug, though! I wouldn’t mind soldering in a newer plug – do you know if the coil plugs are pretty standard for Honda? A pigtail like that is ideal, I suppose (not sure how easy it is to get the connector apart)

DavidDavid
          Participant

Looks like there are new plugs available on there, too! Not sure of the quality, but auction 252794180548 is one example (has the sockets, rear gaskets, and connector body – in theory, I could use a tool and release the pins from the old socket and plug them into the new one…

MikeMike
            Participant

I wouldn’t be too stressed about the quality of these;
              I doubt that Honda’s connector manufacturer uses better quality plastic.
              You’re right that you can keep your seals and terminals as they are.
              There’s actually a release tool made for that to prevent damage. Search for metri pack release tool
              You could just replace the connector housing without having to splice anything.
              I’d contact the seller and find out if this connector will fit and/or hunt around on Honda dealers’ parts sites and see if the pigtails are interchangeable.
              If you catch a Honda parts guy in a good mood, maybe he will just tell you.
              Hopefully, this informative NAPA link is OK to post. If not, google how to assemble metri pack and you’ll find it.

DavidDavid
              Participant

I ended up getting one of the connectors off ebay (auction number 252794180548 – but there are lots of options selling the same part) – I released the sockets from the old connector body, snapped them into the new one, and I was good to go! The connector even came with new sockets and gaskets/seals if one of the sockets on the old plug was damaged or missing.

Sort of alarming how brittle some of the stuff under the hood has gotten!

MikeMike
                Participant

Glad you had an easy time of it.
                  Ebay sellers have been very good sources for my cars’ aging plastic connectors, too.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…