Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Honda Prelude 98 cranking but no start!! :(

Honda Prelude 98 cranking but no start!! :(

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Honda Prelude 98 cranking but no start!! :(

• Creator
    Topic
    FawwazFawwaz
    Participant

Hey fellow mechanics. I am having an issue with my prelude. History is that I bought it to fix it. They guy lost the keys couldnt start it so i bought it cheap. I got a ecu…a key ( with a chip in it)…ignition…and the brake module to match the key. Got it to crank after changing those parts..now not getting spark at the coil when I crank. Coil is good as i changed it still nothing…ignition is good…battery is on a chager. Im thinking its the crank shaft sensor but i do to want to open it for nothing. Just want to know how do i test the sensor before opening up the timing belt area. ALSO VERY weird when i turn the key to off from on the coil sparks!!! thats messed up. …plz help.insults comments advice is all welcome

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Joeseph MamaJoeseph Mama
      Participant

Your crank/no-start will fit into at least 1 of the 3 following categories:

1. poor/weak/non-existent spark.

2. air/fuel delivery issue.

3. mechanical/compression.

Now it’s time to do some testing, ruling things out, or if you get lucky, identify the problem right away. So, when it comes to investigative issues of this nature, I like to do as much of the easy stuff as I can first… so I suggest:

• check battery (load test at autozone)
        • Pull OBDII codes (can be done at autozone)
        • check spark using a spark tester
        • listen for your fuel pump running
        • check fuel pressure (tool rental from autozone)
        • check the air filter
        • test for exhaust/CAT restrictions
        • try a jumpstart

watch eric’s videos on crank/no-start diagnosis:

Im thinking its the crank shaft sensor

If this is the case, it will throw a OBDII code, CEL (Check Engine Light)

At this point, it’s important not to get tunnel vision: approach this with good diagnostic testing. Rule out the easy stuff first. Doing so will help you categorize the nature of your crank/no-start.

pilotvppilotvp
        Participant

Is the ECU for that model? Ask dealership if it needs to be undated too.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

The ECU is normally the last place you go in a situation like this. The dealer can actually program keys to work with your original ECU. I would suggest you install that and take it to the dealer to have keys made for it. Preludes are a strange animal. They made several different variations of them and as a result, they have many different parts and configurations. In short, it would be difficult to find an ECU to work with your vehicle.

I’ll also post this just for good measure.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-automotive-no-start-problems

Good luck and keep us posted.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…