Menu

honda prelude problems

• Creator
    Topic
    tracybgmntracybgmn
    Participant

my son has a 93 prelude he says when he shifts from 1st to 2nd it shoots a flame out the tailpipe and he said it cut off on him the other day .he took it to a guy that works on hondas but he had no idea what is wrong with it does anyone have any idea what could be causing this.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      hondaslave1342hondaslave1342
      Participant

sounds pertty cool to me..where did you buy that flame thrower? amazon?……is it running rich? is a backfire? only at high rev’s when shifting of normal crusie mode?…..

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

It sounds like it running extremely ‘rich’ as posted above.

Did your ‘mechanic’ do any type of fuel pressure tests? Is the fuel pressure regulator vacuum operated as if the diaphragm has ruptured, it will send raw fuel down the vacuum line into the intake.

tracybgmntracybgmn
          Participant

i dont think they did any test they were saying they thought it jumped timing.but that didnt sound right be cause the car runs good

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

Never seen that but I agree it does sound like it’s running very rich. Are there any check engine lights? If so what are the codes? I’d be surprised if you didn’t have any. As for the timing question I don’t think timing being off would cause that symptom but the engine would probably lack for power. I’d like some more info if you could give it especially on any codes you might have.

tracybgmntracybgmn
              Participant

no the check engine light does not come on.we are not sure if it even works

mfdfirefighter46mfdfirefighter46
                Participant

you can check to see if the light works all you have to do is turn the key on if it lights it works if it dont then it well you get it when you turn it on the computer runs a quick self test on itself so i think we should start there to make sure that works.

tracybgmntracybgmn
                  Participant

i just went there and turned the key over and all lights except the check engine light worked it did not light up so what do i do now.

tracybgmntracybgmn
                    Participant

my son and his friends did put a vtec controller on the car could this be causing the problem

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                      Participant

If the CEL bulb is not illuminating, it could be burnt out. You could take it to a auto parts store as most like Autozone and Advance can retrieve the codes for free.

As for the VTEC controller, is it an aftermarket piece or are you trying to refer to the VTEC solenoid that these Honda’s use?

tracybgmntracybgmn
                        Participant

no its an aftermarket that you wire up to tune your engine i told him to un hook it

pcmdjasonpcmdjason
                          Participant

When in doubt, go stock.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                            Keymaster

Yea the plot thickens. That absense of a CEL is troubling especially when you add in the ‘modifications’. I think at this point it would be a good idea to take it to someone with a proper scanner to see if they can communicate with the ECU, in the end I think your going to have to remove the ‘controler’ to fix the problem and who knows what else depending on how it was wired in.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…