Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • How high should engine temps rise on uphills?

How high should engine temps rise on uphills?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion How high should engine temps rise on uphills?

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by dandan.
  • Creator
    Topic

Just a general baseline. It came to me after fixing a wiring problem on my car, now the temp gauge works more accurately and shows higher and more reasonable temps. On highway, the needle stays near the 80ºC (176ºF), average speed of 80mph, but when climbing the speed gets below 70mph or even 60mph (two persons onboard with some luggage and tools) the temp rises (after 5 to 10min of mild to steep climb, around 10km or 6 miles) to somewhere near 194ºF to 200ºF. I still don´t get used to the new readings and somewhat paranoid about it.

Don´t have to put my foot down, maybe 1/2 travel, but you can hear the engine working just a bit.

I don´t know if the heat from the transmission should be a factor to include since it has a standalone cooler separated from the radiador but the cooler is in front of the radiator.

Also the thermostat is rated 82ºC (180ºC) but Idon´t know if that´s the temp that starts to open or is it fully open (I know, there is a video for that but dsl is slow, really slow, slower than the Fairmont on snow 😛 )

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Cloud WalkerCloud Walker
    Participant

Hello,

Seems normal to me. Especially with the tranny cooler in front of the radiator. Tranny works harder with a load and therefore generates more heat.

Same thing applies to the engine as well.
      Here’s some info about thermostats that may help.

Thermostat Temperatures

>> Thermostats have a “rated” temperature such as 180F or 195F

>> This is the temperature the thermostat WILL START TO OPEN, give or take 3 degrees

>> The thermostat fully open about 15-20 degrees ABOVE its rated temperature

>> Many thermostats have a “jiggle pin” or “check valve” that allows trapped air in the cooling system to pass through the thermostat and be released from the system.

>> If a Stant thermostat does not have a jiggle pin, it will have a “bleed notch” or other method of removing air from the system.

Obtained from http://www.stant.com/index.php/english/products/consumer-products/thermostats/abcs-thermostats/

Be Well,
      Cloud

dandan

engine temperature should not exceed 220 degrees in most automobiles in any condition, engine temperatures are typically regulated with thermostat and fans between 190-220 degrees, on a cold day my car will run at its coolest 185 degrees but when it is parked on a hot day just idling at a parking lot the most it will reach according to my scan tool is about 221 degrees and the fans kick on… and this is with a aftermarket under drive water pump pulley.

as previously stated when driving up hill your car may run a little warmer, (mine does too with extended up hill hauls…) this is normal because the engine is working harder to pull the car up hill. as long as your engine temperature does not exceed the maximum that your car is rated car, and that is probably 220 degrees you should be fine.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…