Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • How many of you started out changing tires ONLY?

How many of you started out changing tires ONLY?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only How many of you started out changing tires ONLY?

• Creator
    Topic
    SDMAN1981SDMAN1981
    Participant

I have some basic automotive experience like changing tires, oil, etc but I’m having a difficult time getting a basic entry level job doing that, all I see is “experience” “experience” “experience”. I am more than willing to start off at the bottom, but this rough economy just isn’t letting me.

So the question I’m asking here is this…. Did any of you current technicians/mechanics start off with just changing tires ONLY, like at Discount Tire? I’m willing to change tires for a while in a tire only shop if that’s what it takes, I mean do automotive shops see that as experience?

Sorry if this question is weird.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      DanielDaniel
      Participant

Its crazy! Ive been trying to get into shops here in tn, and they all want like 8-10 years experience! One shop wanted me to check a car out, and replace the head gasked as a test, so i did, and beat the time by 15 mins, and he never contacted me after that!…its bs, they all want someone with experience, but noone is willing to take us entry level guys in and help us.

jasonjason
        Participant

yes some shops look at just the work record and what you have done but it sounds like you need to go to your local trade school and ask about shops that have on the job training programs and maybe someone has a opening.

FrankFrank
          Participant

I started out swapping tires, then suspension parts, then engine fixes.

Ohh wait this was at a tire shop only…

RyanRyan
            Participant

I think 90% of guys don’t start out the traditional way. It seems to be tough to get onto the field compared to 10 years ago when i started.

KeithKeith
              Participant

I just started in the industry about 3 weeks ago. Most of the automotive work I’ve done has been changing tires and balancing them, other than that, I mainly shadow the experienced techs, wash cars, and other miscellaneous work. It’s definitely a ladder you have to climb, but you learn new stuff every day

jeep72jeep72
                Participant

Its hard to get your foot in the door. I went to trade school took auto and diesel and the ford program. I have two ASE. I have some exp in the field. Now been out of work and I can’t even get a lube tech job. its just crazy.

zerozero
                  Participant

I started off doing just tires, I think it’s probably the best way to get in and prove you’re ready to work. That being said it is the most physically demanding and down right dirty job I’ve come across in the field so far. No grease or oil but tonnes of dust. If you can’t pick up a 10-ply 265/70r17 off the ground and put it on a truck in the air you probably should have the job. I’ve definitely put on a few pounds in the last year since I started doing more than just tires and OFLs.

I actually found too that you can make some good money. The one shop I was had had a revolving door of staffing issues, mostly because we did medium truck also, but holy crap I used to work 50 hours a week and get paid every second of overtime. No flat rate nonsense. Then if you get into one of the mobile service trucks you can really kill it.

Rickey GreshamRickey Gresham
                    Participant

back in the mid 70’s i started changing tires and pumping gas at a full service station so had to clean windshield, check air pressure.

JamesonJameson
                      Participant

I wouldnt go to a tire shop. Do a lube shop if you have to. Tire work doesnt help in a real shop. The ideal place would be a full service repair center. If you can start off as a lube tech and move your way up…or leave when you have to for a better position. I started off as a lube tech and have worked for many shops after that. If you find the right place, they will teach you things and encourage you to grow. If not, then move on when the opportunity arises.

Just dont do tires (only) if you want to grow in the industry. A real shop will look at that as essentially no experience. At least with a lube shop, you have more credible experience.

Do the lube tech thing for awhile, then move to maybe a entry level mechanic at like a pep boys or dealership if you have to. Then move on to better things. Grow your tool collection as much as possible in that time so that when you feel your ready to make the next step you will have the tools to back it up.

Christian FidanzaChristian Fidanza
                        Participant

I start my apprenticeship on June 28th (1 day after i graduate high school) as a diesel mechanic ad i’ll be the new tire guy. Tires, brakes and greasing will be my job for probably a year or two

Deano GarrettDeano Garrett
                          Participant

At age 15 I got a job at Hilltop Tires putting acid on old steel wheels for repainting and selling. From there I became a “tire buster” as we were refereed to back then. From there by watching the mechanics and asking allot of questions, I learned brakes and soon after front alignments. Then after a few employment changes ended up at Econo-lube and tune doing brakes but most importantly was there with a excellent tune and performance mechanic who had uncanny diagnostic skills and wasn’t afraid to share them. So yes starting out as a tire buster can lead to bigger and better things if you watch listen and ask, that mixed with good timing and a little luck, and there is no stopping anyone.

KenKen
                            Participant

#1 Take your ASEs. As many as you can. Study for them and pass them. I won’t get into the ASE debate, Eric’s covered that in a video, but I do have to say I would prefer hiring someone with experience over ASEs and no experience. But ASEs show that you’re committed and serious and all those good qualities. Like a college degree. Doesn’t necessarily mean anything and someone without a college degree might be better, but it does show that you put the time and effort into earning it. Something like that.

Stay up to date. Buy those magazine subscriptions and read them. I’m telling you those magazines are worth their weight in gold. We had a nightmare of a car with an electrical problem and threw every part known to man at that car. After we finally fixed it, after the fact, I read about that exact car and problem with the simple solution in a back issue of one of those repair magazines sitting around in the shop, unread. Oh man that was bitter, but luckily I didn’t have to work on that absolute nightmare. Read and study as much as you can, and soak up all the knowledge you can. Magazines, forums, textbooks, YouTube Videos, Eric’s videos! websites, Alldata, Mitchell, etc. Let me say this: Identifix is the greatest thing on this planet. You don’t know how many times it’s saved our hides. Worth it’s weight in gold. If your shop doesn’t have it, it NEEDS it.

#2 Tools, tools, tools. Buy tools. Do NOT get into debt, do NOT pass Go, do NOT collect $200. So help me if you run up a bill with the Brothers Snap, Mac, and Matco, you are digging a ditch that you do not want to climb out of. ESPECIALLY if you’re just starting out making nothing an hour. There are PLENTY of affordable, good quality tool companies out there:

Harbor Freight (oh there’s some junk alright, but mostly fine tools), Craftsman, Stanley, Husky, Kobalt, parts store tool brands (a little questionable) like Duralast, Autocraft, OTC & Lisle (affordable specialty tools), OEM Tools, Gearwrench, Tekton, Sunex, Genius, Channellock (they make sockets too), J.H. Williams, Mountain, Titan, KD Tools, Carlyle (a bit more expensive), Grey Pneumatic, SK, Proto, Blackhawk, Armstrong, and more.

Employers will ask you, “Do you have your own tools?” This is the time to brag and tell them about your tools. I’ve even said, “Even the master tech at my old shop would borrow tools from me from time to time.” And it was true. And baby I did not break the bank. I’m working on a starter tech list of tools, feel free to PM or something to remind me and I should have it up in a week or so. Maybe, if I don’t procrastinate indefinitely, forever, lol. Even include a picture of your tools in your resume, seriously. Sounds weird but if it works it ain’t stupid and if it helps you get the job, and stand out, great. A beautiful color photo of your precious car next to your toolbox or something. I’ve even included in my resume all the cars I’ve owned and my favorite one and so on, just to add some color and show them I love cars (or loved, lol, but that’s a different story for another day) and work on them a lot and that counts for something, it does.

#3 Work on cars. Buy cars. Practice. Go to the junkyard to mess around (eh, maybe). If you go into an interview and tell them, “Yeah I rebuilt my own engine and replaced my clutch and diagnosed my friend’s cranking, no start, and solved this issue and that…” That counts for a lot, it really does. Put it on your resume the work you’ve done and what you can do. Struts and shocks, drive axles, etc. This is probably what helped me get my first job, along with my ASEs and I had printed out and attached to my resume my tech school graduation papers and even a copy of my DMV record and the idiotic ASE Refrigerant and Recovery license and my Smog papers and so on. I had no experience by the way.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…