Menu

How Often Do You Go Through Gloves

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only How Often Do You Go Through Gloves

• Creator
    Topic
    Eric SchottEric Schott
    Participant

So I have never been a fan of wearing gloves. But one of the new techs that just started with us got me on these nitrile gloves that fit really well and don’t make my hands sweat as bad. I have used quite a bit in the last 4 days since I got a box. I was just curious how fast some of you guys go through a box of gloves. My co-worker says he goes through about a 100 box of gloves each week, and I was just curious what usage other guys have seen.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ErikErik
      Participant

Well since my shop buys the gloves and its not an expense out of my pocket i usually go through a box of 100 in 4 days sometimes a week

Eric SchottEric Schott
        Participant

[quote=”K5mudlife” post=84495]Well since my shop buys the gloves and its not an expense out of my pocket i usually go through a box of 100 in 4 days sometimes a week[/quote]

Seems to be what most people are telling me. Oh well. I can get the gloves I have just started using for around $6 a box if I buy them 2 cases at a time. I just quit smoking, so after spending $5-7 a day on cigarettes for three years I think I can handle $6 a week for gloves lol.

ErikErik
          Participant

Yea i like wearing them for a couple reasons one when i get done with a repair i can just take them off and take the vehicle out with out washing my hands and 2 it protects my already rough hands from the harmfull chemicals ive been using for a few years gloveless now lol. Not to mention it saves me clean up time at the end of the day

Nolan KettleNolan Kettle
            Participant

Nitrile is the way to go! i am a firefighter and work for an ambulance company and have always had access to many different gloves. Mostly nitrile now as many people have latex allergies. personally i prefer the kimberly clark Purple dental gloves. Very thick and last most of the day, extremely tear and chemical resistant. quite expensive at close to $10 a box, but i have found i can take them off and put them back on multiple times no problem.

adam savageadam savage
              Participant

I buy the heavy duty nitrile gloves from harbor freight. 7 mil thickness. 10 bucks a box. And i reuse them multiple times. and they have the long cuff on them. I like them better than anything i’ve ever used. Even better than diamond grip!

curt charlescurt charles
                Participant

What are these gloves you talk about?

ChristianChristian
                  Participant

I have used gloves for awhile and with me it seams to depend on what i’m doing. If I do a brake job ill use a pair per axle. If I do allot of tight engine work I rip through them like no other. My issue is finding my size. I can palm a bowling ball with one hand, double XL is hard to find in normal stores. Love seeing more people use gloves my father always did when he was a tech and always got beef for it. Now days its more accepted, he would say “work smarter not harder”. banana:

Jerry JonesJerry Jones
                    Participant

Topqualitygloves.com is where I buy gloves for the shop. the techs and I usually go through a case and a half a week. But the gloves are cheaper then my water bill would be form all of us washing our hands every 15 minutes.

kevin gosselinkevin gosselin
                      Participant

http://www.shubee.com/thickster-gloves.html?gclid=CNK_n9mA6rwCFRSPfgodQBEAwQ

I’m in love with those one. They are on the thick side so some time you would need to remove 1 glove for the finest work require during tear down. But man they are tough. You know if you glove will wrap around you impact socket when you remove a wheel nut, but you can easily do 3 to 4 turn and the glove would stretch but not break. Our tire guys love them comes the winter changeover rush.

The only annoying thing if you can sweat pretty bad in them come those summer hot days.

I actually stretch them as long as possible using brake cleaner and cleaning them, I can do a full week if I’m doing light duty work.

If you have a lots of bearing to grease to old fashion way. those are the glove and when you are done, you just flip them outside in .

Best glove for toughness. I get them from napa for the interested one 😉

Then the FORD nitrile glove come next in my opinion

JamieJamie
                        Participant

I can get through a day on one pair depending on what I’m doing. I’ve been using the 8mil Grease Monkey gloves for a few months now and really like them. I’ve also used the thicker dental gloves in the past too. I find I sweat like a bastard in them, especially in summer, but I just deal with it. Between jobs I take the gloves off and air them out inside out.

Wayne ChowWayne Chow
                          Participant

I’m using 5mil nitrile gloves that come in 100 a pack and I usually go through that one pack in say half a month. I wish they have a 6 or 7mil glove because 5mil tears too easily and I don’t like 8mil because way too thick and takes away from natural tactile feel.

JamieJamie
                            Participant

I will admit that at first the thicker glove can be tougher but trust me, you’ll learn the feel. Very few fine jobs do I need to take them off anymore.

A rep dropped off a box of Raven gloves to try out claiming to be better than the grease monkeys. So far I’m going through 4 or 5 pair a day.

WilliamWilliam
                              Participant

Powder Free Latex or Nitrile gloves. My personal favorites have been the SAS Raven extra strength. 6 mil thickness. The gloves come textured too so that helps with gripping stuff but at $14.99 a box, I reuse them a lot. I mainly use them for any engine work that I have to do.

AustinAustin
                                Participant

ugghh, my new shop doesn’t pay for gloves and it’s a nightmare. 100 in 3 days I can do. When I worked at Audi they payed for gloves…

KenKen
                                  Participant

25 pairs in a month. (Box of 50 gloves) I think I’ve got you all beat 😉 We ought to keep track and make this a competition.

I use Harbor Freight’s Heavy Duty and Extreme Heavy Duty (7mil and 9mil). The blue heavy dutys for oil changes and less handsy work, the black Extreme Heavy Duty for everything else. I reuse them, wash em, etc. And even though they’re the most expensive gloves there ($10-13 bucks, but with 20% off, cheaper), the fact that they don’t puncture as easily makes them re-useable and therefore actually much cheaper. Quality over quantity.

I cycle through like 7 pairs a day, because once I take a pair off to drive a car or whatever, it’s wet with sweat and you can’t put wet gloves on, it’s impossible. So I’ll cycle through them, and when the first pair dries, I can wear it again. I’ve got the cleanest, least bloody hands in the shop, lol. All for about $10 a month 🙂

I heard something about using a hole punch and punching some holes into your gloves so your hands don’t sweat as much. Never tried it, but I never had a problem with my hands being sweaty. It’s natural baby.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…