Menu

How often do you use your torque wrench?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only How often do you use your torque wrench?

• Creator
    Topic
    Herman Tyler Jr.Herman Tyler Jr.
    Participant

I’m just saying! I’ve been watching many repair videos, and I’ve found that most well educated tech’s will grab that trusty torque wrench, for head jobs, main and rod bearings, and just a few other applications. I feel that it’s our responsibility as master techs to teach the importance of the torque wrench. Every bolt & nut on a vehicle has a torque specification, and should be torqued accordingly. Prime example! Most techs will grab the impact wrench and buzz the lugs on the studs, for the rim to the hub union. I would like to see the torque specification expounded on a lot more, specifically how to adjust the ft.lb/in. when using an extension. “I’m just saying” — Now for a little humor! We’ll leave out names to protect the innocent! An automobile started down the assembly line and everything was assembled on the way. When the vehicle reached the end of the line, and an employee jumped in to start the vehicle inspections and move the vehicle out of the way. “The vehicle wouldn’t start” the employee popped the hood release and raised the hood, to his surprise, the engine wasn’t in the engine compartment. Just for fun I try to think of how many stations that vehicle went through without the engine being present. Have a great day!! :whistle:

Viewing 2 replies - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Christian FidanzaChristian Fidanza
      Participant

My high school auto teacher is EXTREMLY strict on making us torque EVERYTHING down to spec. Even when we replaced a clutch pedal, he made us look up the torque spec for
        It.

NickNick
        Participant

Obviously doing engine work its crucial to torque everything to the right spec and in the proper order. Also if I have a trans out and replacing a clutch, flywheel, pressure place, etc, I’m torquing it. Rather do it right then have to take it apart again because that isn’t saving any time. Axle nuts are important to torque as well. If you over tighten the nut you can cause premature failure. Taking the extra couple minutes to torque something to spec could save you from doing the job again.

I agree with JS if valve covers are leaking tightening the bolts up won’t really fix it same with oil and trans pans. Just delaying the inevitable.

Viewing 2 replies - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…