Menu

How Old Are Your Tires?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions How Old Are Your Tires?

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

Having a car with a lot of power and no traction is somewhat disappointing. Next time I go to the track it will be on drag radials.

That said, how many of you went out and checked the date codes on your tires after watching this video?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Zac AleksovskiZac Aleksovski
      Participant

RV owners know about date codes especially if you’re looking to by a used trailer or MH. They don’t get a lot of use so tires rarely wear out. The RV industry states replace tires after 7yrs.

Dave TidmanDave Tidman
        Participant

Eric, a question on your track experience. How did you do with the burn outs to get your tires hot? If you were not smelling them before you hit the tree, they were probably cold and that will also impact your traction. All my racing was on road courses and there is nothing scarier than the first few corners on cold tires.

This is all part of the tuning process, so don’t get too discouraged.

Participant

Did you try lowering pressure a little on the rears? inflate the fronts to recommended max will lower rolling resistance a little. With street tires, I tried to go around the water then did short burnouts. Only had a 14 sec car so loosing traction further down the track wasn’t a problem, just getting off the line. Nothing beats slicks, good diff, U joints, driveshaft loop…& $$$.

Keymaster

The burn outs were fine. Plenty of tire in my wheel wells. That said, the track was cold, the tires were cold, and I probably had them inflated too much. Not to mention the tires weren’t really used during the build. My shop is cold in the winter, and hot in the summer. I don’t think performance tires like that.

My solution, new wheels and drag radials when I go back in the spring. Also, just as an experiment, I’m trying to get a tire company to provide me with a set of performance all seasons to see what kind of traction they get. If the traction is good and I have a better ride, I’ll probably stick with those for the street and keep a set of ‘track’ wheels and tires for when I go to the track.

Keymaster

I was going to lower the tire psi on the next run, but I blew up my muffler with a backfire and decided to just go home. I plan to get a set of wheels and drag radials the next time I go to the track.

Participant

I’m by no means a drag racing expert. Got hooked on bracket racing in the mid to late 80’s after going to the strip to find out how quick my car was. Just a small local track. Had 1975 TA then went a few times with my 1986 Mustang GT. There are a few current 4cyl economy cars now that run quicker times than my TA & GT did.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…