Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • How to choose and learn the multimeter (pro/con)

How to choose and learn the multimeter (pro/con)

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion How to choose and learn the multimeter (pro/con)

• Creator
    Topic
    MathieuMathieu
    Participant

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh1n_ELmpFI[/video]

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
      Participant

For working on vehicles about any working meter will do. I used one I bought at Radio Shack for years. It had a analog readout, I was used to it and I liked it. One day I slammed a hood on it. Now I have a fancy fluke and it works okay but is slow.

The way to learn how to use a multimeter is to play with it. Just don’t stick it into 440 volts. Some meters don’t like that and will blow up.

Gary BrownGary
        Participant

Don’t make it more complicated than it has to be. Thats the best advice I can give. I use a craftsman multimeter myself. Does the job just fine. I can remember the first thing I ever tested with a multimeter was a house AC socket. 120 volts!…but really do what I did and just mess around with it and always remember electricity can be dangerous so when in doubt ask! You will typically take 3 basic measurements which include Voltage, Amperage/Current, and Ohms(resistance). With voltage you can hook up parallel with the circuit whereas using the ammeter function requires an inline connection. Testing resistance means killing the power source and usually disconnecting the component to be tested and then using the multimeter as the power source(the meter has a fuse in it). Anyways that is just a basic idea of how to use one.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…