Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • How to determine if caliper is froze?

How to determine if caliper is froze?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here How to determine if caliper is froze?

• Creator
    Topic
    cnorth5863cnorth5863
    Participant

hi , i have a quick question, my 04 avalanche is making a squeal comming from passenger rear wheel.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dreamer2355dreamer2355
      Participant

How long have the rear brakes been making that noise?

I would inspect the pads to see if the wear indicator (if your particular pads have them) is touching the rotor. Also check to make sure the pad material is not worn down to bare metal as well as inspecting the brake hardware. If everything looks good and you can not see any abnormal wear, you could try to re-lubricate all the hardware and guide pins as needed and see if the problem persists.

You also may want to inspect the parking brake shoes and hardware too.

If you do decide to take the caliper off and replace the pads, if your caliper has notches in the piston, you will need a special tool to rotate the piston back into its bore. You may be able to use some long needle nose pliers. Some autoparts store also loan out the disc brake tool for a deposit.

Hope this helps.

BigCBigC
        Participant

Hi cnorth5863,

As dreamer2355 indicates, check the pads first and make sure they are good. If the pads are worn down to the squeaker bar, that could be the source of the noise. To determine if the caliber pins are frozen, see if the caliper itself moves back and forth on the pins. Sometimes this is difficult to determine, as the brake pads are already close to the rotor. If you take the pads off, it is easier to see if each caliper pin moves freely. Uneven wear on the inner or outer brake pad would also be an indication for frozen caliper pins. Good luck and keep us posted.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

Yea check the pads first and don’t asume the worst, it could be that you just need to renew the pads. If you can’t get the caliper piston to go back in then you may need to replace it but don’t condemn it till you have tried to push it in first. Also make sure the slide pins are free and able to move properly as they can also cause abnormal pad wear and problmes with noise as a result. Lastly if you do ned to replace the pads make sure you get quality parts as cheeper brake pads often make noise.

cnorth5863cnorth5863
            Participant

What’s A good brnd? The only two stores near me are advance auto and o’rileys

dreamer2355dreamer2355
              Participant

I would research the brands that each autoparts store sells and see if you can find specs on the pads and user reviews.

BigCBigC
                Participant

Advance Auto Parts usually has Wagner ThermoQuiet brake pads and shoes. I have found this brand and make to be an excellent product.

MattMatt
                  Participant

+1 on the Wagners. I suggest these on all brake jobs I do, and as I’m not making money on parts as I don’t have a volume discount at this time, people know I’m not ripping ’em off for money. I have yet to have complaints about these pads.&#160

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…