Menu

How To Diagnose and Replace a Faulty Caliper

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum How To Diagnose and Replace a Faulty Caliper

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I feel this is a fairly straightforward video but I welcome your comments.

Viewing 4 replies - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Sean PerkinsSean Perkins
      Participant

As I understand it, you need to lube the caliper pins with silicone paste and use copper grease (I think that’s what Eric called antiseize) on the area between the back of the pads and the shims (though Eric didn’t do this), and the tops and bottoms of the pads where they fit into the caliper. Can I use Permatex dielectric tune up grease (silicone based) for all of this? I have a tube of it.
        Thanks
        silicone grease

Keymaster

[quote=”Rolomoto” post=105206]As I understand it, you need to lube the caliper pins with silicone paste and use copper grease (I think that’s what Eric called antiseize) on the area between the back of the pads and the shims (though Eric didn’t do this), and the tops and bottoms of the pads where they fit into the caliper. Can I use Permatex dielectric tune up grease (silicone based) for all of this? I have a tube of it.
          Thanks
          silicone grease[/quote]

I recommend things just the way I show in the video.

hotterhotter
          Participant

I cant move my calipers piston enough to fit the new rotor and break pads, I just need ~1mm… I am trying to do that while it is connected to the system, would it be easier to push it if it would be disconnected?

Keymaster

[quote=”hotter” post=108353]I cant move my calipers piston enough to fit the new rotor and break pads, I just need ~1mm… I am trying to do that while it is connected to the system, would it be easier to push it if it would be disconnected?[/quote]

You might try cracking the bleeder valve open. However, you might just have a caliper that’s about to go bad. If it doesn’t move easily with the bleeder cracked open, I’d say you probably have a bad caliper.

Viewing 4 replies - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…