Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • How to fix an engine then burn a lot of oil

How to fix an engine then burn a lot of oil

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Repair Central-The ‘How To’ Forum How to fix an engine then burn a lot of oil

• Creator
    Topic
    MathieuMathieu
    Participant

This is the fist thing to change because It’s 10 us$ and easy part change. Then you can move to the cover seal valve and as Scoty said pray It not other part wearing out like. Piston seal might the case. But pressure test in the engine is the measuring tool of chose to diagnose multiple cause of this problem at once.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Gary BrownGary
      Participant

The PCV valve is a great place to start. The valve cover gasket losses will be minimal and you can’t “burn” oil through the valve cover usually they “weep”. I would run a compression test…I do tend to recommend that alot but it will verify if there is a problem with the rings and or valves.

MikeMike
        Participant

Scotty Kilmer How-To videos many times vastly oversimplify what’s involved in doing a repair. This video is not really an example of that because the repair shown is actually that simple. His video of how to fabricate brake lines on a rusty old car that is less than a minute longer than this video is an example of incredibly oversimplifying a repair that can sometimes be difficult and time consuming. I’ve considered starting a discussion here about his videos but not really gotten into it because Eric’s channel promotes Scotty’s channel and I have a lot of negative things to say.

I’ve been watching his videos for years now for entertainment purposes and I do genuinely like his videos for that, but I’m constantly shaking my head at how incredibly misleading they can be to the novice mechanic or customer who is trying to be informed about having their car repaired. For me, it’s like how a Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh hater spends more time listening than a fan because they’re waiting to see what they’re going to say next. Many of his videos contain a mixture of misinformation and really good/valid points, making it hard for someone who doesn’t already know all about the subject to walk away with a well-rounded learning experience.

He does respond to tons of negative comments, and the comment wars can get pretty interesting. For a really good example of that watch his “why it’s dumb to lift a vehicle” video, which is one of his that makes many valid points but angers many off-roading people.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…