Menu

How To Install an HID Headlight Kit

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum How To Install an HID Headlight Kit

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

I had a lot of fun making this video and I hope you enjoy it. Even though this video shows a Honda Element the procedure is similar with other vehicles. So what do you think of HID kits?

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 105 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      jeremyfountainjeremyfountain
      Participant

10-4

Andrew ThompsonAndrew Thompson
        Participant

Legal aspects aside, if you get flashed and you are already on low beam then your lights are out of adjustment or bad, this is a good time to do something about it…. So the real question to Eric is do you get flashed?

Participant

IVE ALWAYS WANTED MORE LIGHT OUTPUT, WHEN A MERCEDES OR A CADDI WOULD DRIVE ALONG SIDE ME AT NIGHT I WOULD THINK TO MY SELF DANG THAT NOT ONLY LOOKS COOL BUT HECK I CAN SEE TONS MORE

vgs8606vgs8606
            Participant

I wish you had spent few minutes on showing the bulb holder that you put in the reflector. My Honda Odyssey already has a kind of baffle inside the reflector and I am not sure if that bulb holder can fit in there. Given that you do have a (broken?) Odyssey, could you confirm that the kit could have fit in your Odyssey too? It does have the same H4 system.

To be very honest with you, I too was going to yell at you for doing this conversion but when I saw your final beam shot at the garage door, it looked quite acceptable. Looking at that, I am guessing that you are not blinding the on-coming traffic.

Please provide periodical updates and definitely say something if you run in to trouble for example, if you have premature failure of ballast or bulb, please update your video.

Jason Alexmckrishes
              Participant

masster, you are quick to judge. Yet when you are called out for your own mistakes you remain silent and continue to judge people on this forum. You’ve been called out for your accusation that Eric’s installation of this kit is illegal. Eric has verified that this kit is legal in his home town and posted a disclaimer that we should check the laws in our local area before installing this kit. Lets see if you admit your mistake and apologize to this forum just as you would expect Eric and everyone else on this forum to. I nor anyone else on this forum will hold their breath, but we await your response.

MichaelMichael
                Participant

The video is neither about HID kit itself nor about should you put it in, it’s about DIY installation.
                  :stick:

James RJames R
                  Participant

The problem with installing HIDs in headlights that were designed for halogen bulbs is not that they are illegal in some areas. The problem is the glare caused by them.

The reflector in the back of the headlight was designed around a halogen bulb, with all its properties regarding light intensity, source and direction of light emission, and waste-heat output (though admittedly this isn’t a problem with HIDs).
                    Due to the design differences between the two types of bulbs, their characterisctics mentioned above are not (and can not) be the same. This means light being reflected where it shouldn’t be, namely above the desired ___/ line of light output.

Professional equipment can show how incorrectly the light is focused with aftermarket HIDs: Click
                    The link shows a picture of the light dispersion of a normal H4 bulb, the next is that of a H4 with higher light output, and the one after that is that of a HID bulb, all in the same headlight. The following 3 pictures show the same, regarding light intensity.

HIDs can make your driving easier in the night, but the people in the oncoming lane will be blinded by them, especially if the headlight are as high mounted as they are in the Element.

Eric, I’m not going to make personal attacks, I’m just going to ask you to consider using halogen bulbs with higher light output (not higher power ones, those can melt your headlight), instead of these HIDs. They are very easy to find in Europe, I’m sure they are available in th US as well. They won’t give you as much light as the kit you installed, but they won’t blind everyone coming the other way.

Or, if the Element had HIDs as optional equipment, retrofitting those OEM reflector headlights would be the best option.

Please excuse any incorrect spelling, grammar, etc., English is not my first language.

masstermasster
                    Participant

@mckrishes
                      I told Eric to go to a headlight aiming shop for 2 reasons: to see if they allow those HID lamps, and to have his halogen headlights aiming done professionally. He didn’t.

I, like many others, told Eric he can’t mount HID lamps in a halogen headlight because the geometry of reflector and the design of the lens is halogen specific. He didn’t admit he is wrong.

He doesn’t understand that during rain all oncoming traffic will be blinded. The problem gets even worse when headlights get dirty and there is no headlight washing system.

If local police gave him a green light, then they live on Gilligan’s Island, further more I don’t think they are in charge with technical inspections.

Everything shows a boyish attitude from Eric. Typical “I want my car to look cool, so I’ll throw a pair of bluish HIDs because they’re brighter.” showing off. But what’s worse is that he doesn’t understand there are people who will copy his bad choice based on his prior credibility. Those people, you included, for a strange reason (he’s not your brother) don’t want their idol to be wrong, so instead of criticizing him, they attack anyone that can see Eric sucks at electrical/electronic jobs.

But why am I surprised after all? If Americans still trust their government after that 9/11 monumental lie that killed 3,000 innocent non-Jewish fellow citizens, then believing in Eric (which stands by his mistake and keeps his HID kit gift on his car) is too easy.

masstermasster
                      Participant

@jimmyrustler
                        Very good photos, they complement my arguments Eric fails to admit. That’s why he stays away from any professional headlights aiming shop and does his aiming like an amateur. He did the same ‘aiming’ to his Subaru.

danwat1234danwat1234
                        Participant

High end halogens tend to have a short bulb life, that’s why a HID kit especially with a lifetime warranty saves money. (HIDgeeks is a scam, DDM is the only lifetime warranty (google “hidgeeks warranty”).
                          I don’t like the bluish bulbs either, they hurt the eyes more. 4500/5000K (white) HIDs or go back to Halogens. HID bulbs are pretty cheap. On Ebay they are about $24 shipped for a pair of hi/lows or about $10-15 for just lows (no solenoid). Cheaper than a pair of high end halogens. Funny how that is.
                          If he doesn’t want to use proper bulbs then that’s fine. Retrofitting can be expensive and a lot of work and with a newer car (not his) you have a vehicle warranty to protect.

Illegal doesn’t mean anything, can’t get in much trouble.

Keymaster

[quote=”vgs8606″ post=58776]I wish you had spent few minutes on showing the bulb holder that you put in the reflector. My Honda Odyssey already has a kind of baffle inside the reflector and I am not sure if that bulb holder can fit in there. Given that you do have a (broken?) Odyssey, could you confirm that the kit could have fit in your Odyssey too? It does have the same H4 system.

To be very honest with you, I too was going to yell at you for doing this conversion but when I saw your final beam shot at the garage door, it looked quite acceptable. Looking at that, I am guessing that you are not blinding the on-coming traffic.

Please provide periodical updates and definitely say something if you run in to trouble for example, if you have premature failure of ballast or bulb, please update your video.[/quote]

They make different attachments for different bulb set ups. All you need to know is the type of bulb you have and they can fix you right up. I just shot an Re: video today that I hope will clear up a lot of issues about this video. It should be out this Friday.

Keymaster

[quote=”jimmyrustler” post=58810]The problem with installing HIDs in headlights that were designed for halogen bulbs is not that they are illegal in some areas. The problem is the glare caused by them.

The reflector in the back of the headlight was designed around a halogen bulb, with all its properties regarding light intensity, source and direction of light emission, and waste-heat output (though admittedly this isn’t a problem with HIDs).
                              Due to the design differences between the two types of bulbs, their characterisctics mentioned above are not (and can not) be the same. This means light being reflected where it shouldn’t be, namely above the desired ___/ line of light output.

Professional equipment can show how incorrectly the light is focused with aftermarket HIDs: Click
                              The link shows a picture of the light dispersion of a normal H4 bulb, the next is that of a H4 with higher light output, and the one after that is that of a HID bulb, all in the same headlight. The following 3 pictures show the same, regarding light intensity.

HIDs can make your driving easier in the night, but the people in the oncoming lane will be blinded by them, especially if the headlight are as high mounted as they are in the Element.

Eric, I’m not going to make personal attacks, I’m just going to ask you to consider using halogen bulbs with higher light output (not higher power ones, those can melt your headlight), instead of these HIDs. They are very easy to find in Europe, I’m sure they are available in th US as well. They won’t give you as much light as the kit you installed, but they won’t blind everyone coming the other way.

Or, if the Element had HIDs as optional equipment, retrofitting those OEM reflector headlights would be the best option.

Please excuse any incorrect spelling, grammar, etc., English is not my first language.[/quote]

Excellent point. In fact I shot a video today answering to that very topic. I’ve tried the high end Halogen bulbs in other cars and they seem to have a short life. In the above mentioned video I’ll offer a solution to the viewers that have issue with my lights. Lets touch base again after that video comes out. Thanks for your input.

Keymaster

[quote=”masster” post=58812]@jimmyrustler
                                Very good photos, they complement my arguments Eric fails to admit. That’s why he stays away from any professional headlights aiming shop and does his aiming like an amateur. He did the same ‘aiming’ to his Subaru.[/quote]

I’m a professional ASE certified master technician that’s aimed many headlights in the past 20 years. In fact I have a set of Hoppy’s that I was going to use in a video about how to aim headlights but dropped it since the technology is obsolete. I know of the headlight aiming equipment you speak of and it does work well but once again you fail to acknowledge that my kit IS legal and I’ve done nothing wrong in the eyes of the law. Perhaps after you watch Friday’s video I will have answered to your accusations that I’m ignoring your point about using HID’s in a Halogen housing. I’m sure even then you’ll find something to complain about.

Lets leave 9/11 out of this. You continue to grasp at straws and it’s not helping your cause if there ever was one outside of “I hate EricTheCarGuy”.

masstermasster
                                Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=58822]
                                  Lets leave 9/11 out of this. You continue to grasp at straws and it’s not helping your cause if there ever was one outside of “I hate EricTheCarGuy”.[/quote]
                                  Aaawww… cry me a river. Where did you learn this self-victimization rhetoric? In a Jewish synagogue? I am too objective. I praised you in a previous post for what you’re good at. But don’t expect me to be a member of EricTheCarGuy sheeple fan club. Or (coming on-topic) to fail to acknowledge how fake and forced you praised your free HID gift because you knew they gave you a cheap made in China kit. They really suckered you for free advertising. I really don’t know what free advice are you ever entitled to give about HIDs after embarrassing yourself in front of all viewers with your lack of knowledge.

The only viable option is to remove that mickey mouse kit before anything bad happens on the road. Do you want to know what it’s like to kill a family blinded by your stupid ‘legal’ projectors? Go on, do it. Your fans will not be there anymore to help.

Participant

i love mickey mouse!

Viewing 15 replies - 31 through 45 (of 105 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…