Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • How to recharge an A/C system that has a pressure switch

How to recharge an A/C system that has a pressure switch

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here How to recharge an A/C system that has a pressure switch

• Creator
    Topic
    DuncanDuncan
    Participant

I have a 2001 ML320 W163 Benz which lost a fight with a deer. Now I have repaired the front end its time to charge the A/C with R134a. Ive got the manifold gauge etc with DuPont Suva cans and the system is holding a vacuum, but I discovered the car has a low pressure switch to prevent the compressor running when there is no refrigerant. Its a digital pressure switch so not easy to override and I have searched the web (including mbworld.com), but no answers as to how to pre-pressurize the line short of renting the special $4k machine or taking to a dealer. Do you have any suggestions on how I can do this, such as a brand of refrigerant can that will also add pressurize to the line? Many thanks

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Before you can add refrigerant you’ll need to evacuate the system using a vacuum pump and manifold set.
        At which point after you pull a vacuum you should be able to add refrigerant through the manifold set.

DuncanDuncan
        Participant

Yup, I hear ya, I sucked down a vacuum, which holds, but I cant charge it with the manifold gauge because the car electronics prevent the compressor from running due to the A/C low pressure switch, so it will not suck in the refrigerant.
          Ive read you can override the compressor to make it run but only for a few seconds to prevent it burning out. The pressure switch is on the high pressure line by the dryer, and Im sure the benz is not the only manufacturer that has this setup, so hoping someone else has dealt with this type of A/C setup before

Rahul JonesRahul Jones
          Participant

The pressure difference from the Vacuum in the system and the pressurized bottle will pump the initial few pounds of refrigerant after which the compressor should kick ON. If not, then there could be problem that needs further diagnosing.

DuncanDuncan
            Participant

ok, thanks for the help,I wasnt sure if the bottles added any pressure or if the vacuum causes the refrigerant to be sucked in until the pressure equalizes with the armosphere.

BluesnutBluesnut
              Participant

I’ve always disconnected the wire connector at the switch and used a jumper across the connector. (jumper wire, paper clip, etc)

Once you get a can or half a can in that should be sufficient enough to engage the compressor so remove the jumper and plug it back onto the switch.

DuncanDuncan
                Participant

Thanks. Ill see if this works.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…