Menu

How To Remove Honda Crank Bolts

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge The EricTheCarGuy Video Forum How To Remove Honda Crank Bolts

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

Here is the first “Random Tuesday” video. Basically, every now and again on Tuesdays I intend to put out short videos like this. I’m still going to be posting regular repair videos on Fridays. These are just a bonus.

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]sddl2EbF10M[/video]

Viewing 2 replies - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

This VManual will give you everything you’ll need to know for doing that job, including crank bolt removal with and without an impact. BTW, I used to do those timing belt replacements in 35min.

https://www.ericthecarguy.com/honda-acura-b-series-timing-belt-vmanual

Good luck

DavidDavid
        Participant

Not everyone has the luxury of air tools and an appropriate impact. I’ve only changed the belt twice on our Odyssey – first time using two breaker bars (one with the crank pulley tool, the second with the socket) and the second time with the starter bump method. I totally agree you can make a mess with the starter bump method, if things aren’t braced properly, if you don’t pull things to prevent the engine from starting, etc. (you definitely wouldn’t want to be trying that with the vehicle on a lift!) Next time around (still another 50k miles away) if I can rent one of the heavy sockets, maybe I’ll try that with an electric impact… or just do the starter method. we’ll have to see! hammering away on the crank bolt with an impact (if it doesn’t come right off as it seems to with the new thick sockets) has a pretty good chance at damaging bearings.

For the variety of approaches on youtube, etc. – many of them use a large extension to facilitate filming – you really don’t want that as you are taking up a lot of force that could be being applied to the bolt, twisting the extension (I saw one where they had the extension extending out of the wheel well, and balanced it on a jackstand!)

For the two breaker-bar method (which is also how I tightened the bolt both times) I find you need to brace the bar with the crank pulley tool on the frame (or if it’s a long enough bar, against the ground) then tighten the bolt with the other one.

Viewing 2 replies - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…