Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • I did something stupid to my automatic trans a while back…

I did something stupid to my automatic trans a while back…

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here I did something stupid to my automatic trans a while back…

Tagged: 

• Creator
    Topic
    willy johnsonwaleed
    Participant

My most recent car 2013 kia rio, I got back in early 2018 for a good price. I’ve taken really good care of it for the most part. One day I was being stupid, and neutral dropped the car maybe 8-10 times that day to show off. I never did it after again, changed the trans fluid, drain and fill with lucas transmission fix. That was last year right before summer. Today I decided to drain a bit of fluid out since it has no dipstick, fluid looked in very good shape. I added another bottle of lucas.

The only thing Ive noticed since last year is the car seems to shift harder, not as smooth as before, but unless you drive it often, you dont really notice. I’ve put around 30k on it since then.

How long should I expect it to last before the transmission dies? My engine also started to consume more oil in the past 1 year. Will it be worth putting a used one, or rebuild by the time it quits? I paid $5800 for it with 83k back in jan 2018, and now it has 145k

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

Neutral dropping …. No telling what damage you could have caused.
        As to changing the fluid on a ” non serviceable ” transmission:
        Some vehicles have very specific procedures concerning ATF add / replacement.
        It isn’t just a spill and fill.

How long should I expect it to last before the transmission dies?
        No one can give a time.
        As to the engine replacement …
        If you feel it is worth the cost of parts and labor, you might consider dropping a junkyard drive train in if both the engine and tranny are on their last legs.

willy johnsonwaleed
        Participant

Two years ago, I went to a mechanic did a spill and fill. He just drained it and put about the same about back in. a little over 4 liters. Unless the car is under warranty or cvt, I usually just use full synthetic multi vehicle fluid. The car was a former rental when it was new by enterprise, hard to also tell how its been driven, but it hasnt been too much maintenance for me. Just the regular oil changes, brakes, tuneup.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…