Menu

I Don’t Know Where To Turn.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion I Don’t Know Where To Turn.

• Creator
    Topic
    CoreyCorey
    Participant

So, since about a year and a half ago, it’s been my dream to be a BMW tech. As of lately, that dream as been crushed and stomped into pieces.
      I no longer want to work on cars for a living. For side work? Maybe.

I spent $10k in tools, plus three semesters worth of tuition and time to do this.
      I don’t consider any of it a waste…as working on cars is truly a hobby I enjoy…but not something I’d like to do for a living.
      Even though I don’t consider it to be a waste, it IS kind of a waste that I could have put that money and time towards something else. But, I guess it’s hard to know what you want to do with the rest of your life right from the start.

But, yeah…I don’t know where to turn, and I’m hoping somebody with more experience and wisdom can offer guidance.
      Ideally, I’d like cars to be involved in my life in some way. I still enjoy going to class and learning about them and asking questions and everything. I just don’t care to live the “technician lifestyle” of getting ripped off due to paperwork, flat-rate, and every other reason I’ve gathered over reading and experiencing.

Ideally, I want to avoid the “hot, dirty, and wet” scene. Every job I’ve ever worked has involved those. While jobs that DO involve those seem to pay a lot, I don’t think it’s worth it. The other guy may be making bank spending 12 hours in the sun and getting dirty, but it’s not something I want to do for a living. It’s not worth it, to me.

I’ve considered being a service writer. But, the service writers at my place make me rethink it all.
      They work an insane amount of hours and their paycheck hardly makes up for it.

What I think would be cool is being a field rep — where you go around shops and help techs with unique problems. Or be the guy that tears apart a car to figure out what’s wrong with it because the flat-rate people obviously don’t want to do it. However, both of those jobs seem like jobs you’d want to do AFTER being a tech for X years. I’m trying to avoid that, if possible.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave OlsonDave
      Participant

You can’t start at the top you have to do the dirty jobs to earn and appreciate the clean ones.

BluesnutBluesnut
        Participant

If you’re talking about being a field rep for a car manufacturer then it won’t be easy. They rely a lot on a track record and most reps have never worked as a mechanic.

Factory, regional, or district reps (whatever you want to call them) do not go around diagnosing and repairing problem cars either although they may get involved in some problems a bit.

MaxMax
          Participant

Actually, you need to work hard and achieve such a goal. And just like that, you can talk forever.

SteveSteve
            Participant

@Corey, you sound like a nice, caring and motivated young fellow whom I’m sure will do well in whatever you choose. I have children in their early to mid 20’s and I might tend to recommend to them to lean towards diesel technology in their career pursuits. I’m Not an auto tech but I do read and study and I am of the opinion that our economy (U.S. and many other countries) will expand greatly in the diesel industry in the coming years. The trucking industry alone will grow at a rapid rate over the next several years, based upon things I have read in the media. And all those diesel trucks and construction equipment will need to be serviced. You could still work on cars for a side line but could probably earn a pretty decent salary on diesel as you “real” job 🙂 Good luck!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…