Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • I NEED ADVICE -> 2004 Chrysler Pacifica – Suspected timing chain slipped

I NEED ADVICE -> 2004 Chrysler Pacifica – Suspected timing chain slipped

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here I NEED ADVICE -> 2004 Chrysler Pacifica – Suspected timing chain slipped

• Creator
    Topic
    Monty HowardMonty Howard
    Participant

Our 2004 Pacifica AWD appears to have had the timing chain slip and we think the engine has been damaged. The DTC codes were P0016 and P0344.

No one has looked at the timing chain to confirm slippage but complete diagnostics were done by an ASE trained mechanic who also said the engine appears to have no compression based upon the sound when cranking it over. HE said it has spark and all electrical looks OK.

If I have another engine of same kind installed will we encounter any issues with computer data that requires reprogramming or resetting of data?

I can get a used engine and I know this is a 50/50 kind of outcome. What I do not know is what to ask about the used engine and what parts should be changed prior to installation so we do not have an expensive repair soon down the road.

My other option is to buy a rebuilt engine. Who can I rely on for a quality rebuild that will last at least 75 thousand miles (hopefully much more with good care)?

Unrealistic option is buy a new engine. Unrealistic only because the car with a new engine would be worth less than the cost of the engine alone.

I am looking for knowledge from those who have already been down this road.

EDIT: Let’s see if this will work???
      ERIC, ERIC, ERIC. 🙂 Man I know you had one of these cars and I am praying to the Lord of Automobiles to move you to help me with some solid sound answers about what a man should do. I am too old and frail for this kind of work but I found a person who thinks they can replace the motor for about $800.00 in labor, he has a shop at his home and works alone. I wish I knew who I could contact about getting a rebuilt engine. Someone who has a reputation for quality work and long lasting rebuilds. My other option is buy a used engine from a salvage yard but a 2004 is already 14 years old and any engine that old will have thousands of miles on it which is a death wish for yet another engine to soon go kaput. What would you do to save a nice old car that looks at least 8 years newer than it is and that needs another engine? (BIG QUESTION -> WILL ERIC ANSWER MY CALL?) 🙂 If he does not I do understand, all of us only have so much time for these things but I have to try.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      BluesnutBluesnut
      Participant

Just my 2 cents for what it’s worth. Your engine should have a timing belt, not a chain. The engine is an interference fit which means the cylinder intake valves (usually) bend when a belt breaks. This will cause a zero compression situation due to the cylinder head damage.

This does NOT mean the engine is wiped out. Only that the top end (heads) are damaged. Very, very seldom does this damage the lower end beyond redemption. Usually the pistons get nicked up but those nicks can be smoothed out before reassembly with repaired or reman heads.

Used engines are a crap shoot and it’s been my experience that about 30-40% of used engines, transmissions, or rear axles have issues ranging from small to major. That’s a big gamble not in your favor.

What would I at least consider? Maybe another pair of cylinder heads and a timing chain kit while reusing your current lower end; meaning the engine block.

Billy AndrewsBilly
        Participant

You’re a long way from knowing even that the timing has skipped. Before thinking engine replacement, find out what the problem is.
          The phrase “complete diagnostics” is pretty much the polar opposite of “said the engine appears to have no compression based upon the sound when cranking it over.”
          Here’s a great story – read this thread, particularly post 12:
          http://www.batauto.com/threads/outlook-acadia-traverse-best-way-to-remove-engine.14776/

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…