Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Inside wear on passenger front tire 1999 honda accord

Inside wear on passenger front tire 1999 honda accord

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Inside wear on passenger front tire 1999 honda accord

• Creator
    Topic
    paulisawesomerpaulisawesomer
    Participant

I notice that the

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      johnzcarzjohnzcarz
      Participant

I can’t tell just from looking if a ball joint is bad or not unless it’s really torn up. You need to test it by lifting the car up and looking for any play in the joint by grabbing the front wheels at 12 and 6 o’clock and pushing HARD in opposite directions. Sometimes I even use a small prybar right on the suspension member if I’m not sure if I’m feeling play or not. Any play is a bad sign. If they check out OK then it may just be an alignment issue. Camber is what chews up tires either on the inside or outside edges, and if toe is off it just speeds up the wear even more. A family member went through a set of front tires on his brand new Accord in less than 12k miles because of this. When was it last aligned?

Since you are there may as well check inner and outer tie-rods too by doing the same test but grabbing the wheel at 3 and 6 o’clock. The steering may want to turn when doing this so keep that in mind.

college mancollege man

The tire wear is caused from negative camber. Your front end is out of alignment. You will need to go to
          an alignment shop and the shop will realign your front end. I would also replace the tires with a matched setC8-)

paulisawesomerpaulisawesomer
          Participant

Thanks guys, never thought it would be an alignment issue. Appreciate the help.

paul

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

Honestly the way Honda suspensions are designed they are pretty hard on the inside of the tires because of the suspension design. Since the alignment angle that’s responsible for inside tire wear is not adjustable on that car you might check the coil spring on that side to see if there is an issue there as ride height can effect that angle. Also the type of tires you use on Honda’s is important because some tires don’t wear as well as others, in fact in my experience the best tires to use on Honda’s are Michelins.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…