Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Installing wheel bearings with an oven

Installing wheel bearings with an oven

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Installing wheel bearings with an oven

• Creator
    Topic
    rt54321rt54321
    Participant

Greetings all!

This question could apply to many vehicles, but specifically, I have a 2005 Honda Civic LX.

Has anyone seen/tried inserting a new wheel bearing using the “oven + gravity” approach, where you:
      1. Heat up the entire steering knuckle in a household oven (this requires the knuckle being removed from the car entirely)
      2. Once at temperature, “drop in” the inner bearing, as the knuckle as expanded so much, that a press is not needed

I’d like to try this method (more as a science experiment than anything else), as I have an old steering knuckle for my car that I got from a junk yard. Just asking – any experience or tips on this?

-Rick

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      ErinErin
      Participant

sounds like it might work. Or you could freeze the bearing. I would not do both lest something cracks when assembled.
        You get this 400 degree hot steering knuckle and a zero degree bearing, something is not gonna be happy.

With the steering knuckle, just make sure it has no parts attached like the ball joint. Oven heat cannot be good for rubber or grease.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      Loading…