Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Intermittent No start, 1 click. Think its starter

Intermittent No start, 1 click. Think its starter

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Intermittent No start, 1 click. Think its starter

• Creator
    Topic
    desmonddesmond
    Participant

I have a 2011 kia soul Manual transmission with about 45k miles

About 2 weeks ago the trouble started, ran into a stewarts to get milk came out and when I turned the key I just get a click. Tried again and click. after maybe 10 tries it started.

Got home and started it up and turned off a few times no problem . 6 days past no problems then it did it again. So figured I had a problem.

Looked around, found that kia souls are prone to bad grounding so I checked and cleaned battery connectors, ground wire etc.. Even added a ground wire to engine as kia goes to strut tower. 2 days later click. This time took 3 tries to start.

So past 3 days its started no issue. I checked the battery. Load tested, checked with multimeter after parked a while to see if maybe was dropping but its all good.

Thought maybe it was the clutch switch, but I unplugged it and tried to start the car and it wouldnt start but it also didn’t click. Just nothing when I turn the key. So i figure if its the clutch switch gone bad I would get the same click when its unplugged. So im crossing that off.

So im assuming its the starter. If its giving a click doesnt that mean solenoids got power but starter motor not going?
      Not sure what else it could be. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      GaryGary
      Participant

Its probably the starter. Pull it and have it tested. Over here we normally recondition them but might be cheaper to get a new one where you are.

JakeJake
        Participant

If you’ve tested your power wire, signal wire and the ground. You 100% need a starter motor

zerozero
          Participant

If it was the neutral safety switch, it wouldn’t click.

The brushes on the motor wear and the gap increases to the point where the voltage can no longer overcome the resistance. So the throw out solenoid will activate, but the motor won’t turn.

Since 2011 is a bit early and your mileage is still pretty low, you might be better off replacing it with a higher quality rebuilt unit or new aftermarket unit. Since you might end up owning the car for a time to come. Maybe even see what a new unit will cost from the dealer. Sometimes their prices might surprise you.

Anyway, it’s only going to get worse. Replace it before it leaves you stranded.

desmonddesmond
            Participant

I ordered a OEM starter w/solenoid.

I had a remote starter put in the week after I bought the car 5 years ago. Ive always noticed that when I remote start and put the key in the ignition and turn it to on I get a click. Its always done it. I always figured it was the starter. I dont know if thats how its remote starters work or not as this is first and only car with a remote starter. So not sure if that is a bad thing to be doing to the starter.

But I live in NY and its cold 9 months out of the year and I work nights so I usually start it up before the end of shift to let engine warm up so I can peel outta there.

Chris passiveaggressivemuch?Chris
              Participant

The click was the solenoid failing to work when power hit it. I usually just replace the whole starter as I have never taken them apart. An old trick when this happens is to tap on the solenoid with something hard usually a wrench a few times and that often helps it to go. But once it starts doing that it is time to change it if you can because its days are numbered and you won’t know when the last time it will work is until it has already passed you by 🙂

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…