Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Intermittent rubbing noise when turning

Intermittent rubbing noise when turning

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Intermittent rubbing noise when turning

• Creator
    Topic
    Ugo BUgo Boulet
    Participant

Hi all!

I crashed my car yesterday. It was a right turn, I didn’t see the slow down sign and understeered my way into the concrete divider (like this one: https://www.shop-ore.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/SVNF50-1.jpg) at about 35-40mph. Both left wheels hit almost at the same time, with the front wheel taking the impact slightly earlier than the rear one. The impact didn’t stop the car but shaved about 15 mph. Definitely got shook but it wasn’t violent.

My car now has an intermittent rubbing sound when turning left. Do you see those white lines that make noise when you drive over them? It’s REALLY close to that sound, only “faster” and a bit deeper sounding. But it doesn’t happen at all speeds! It’s absent below 35mph. The most noticeable is at 50-ish when I’m solliciting the tires for some grip in a right turn. The weird thing is: it’s not a constant noise. Instead it’s intermittent and also transmits vibrations that I can feel with both feet and slightly in the steering wheel too.

Back home I lifted the wheels one by one, trying to wiggle them while holding them at 3 and 9 then 6 and 12. None of the wheels would move (the ebrake was on if it makes any difference). Both front wheels had the slightest 3-9 wiggle, but seriously I’m talking about a millimeter at most. If I put the car on a straight line, the steering wheel stays straight and doesn’t push left or right. The ABS works fine, and so does traction control. I am extremely confused…Google also points to the CV joint but people say bad CV joints make a ticking sounds which mine definitely does not. The steering wheel turns with the same amount of effort left and right, at low and high speeds.

I did 300 miles since the incident and can confirm the noise happens on very strict conditions: never in a straight line, never in a left turn, and never at slow speed no matter the turn’s direction. But if I turn right with some speed (>40mph) and a bit “hard” (not even close to scaring a passenger, but let’s say enough to make you move in your seat), then I hear it and feel it.

Any idea? Just the diagnosis (without guarantee of result!) is 180$ so…yeah.
      Is it safe to drive?

The car is a 2015 Audi TT S-Line 2.0L TFSI Quattro. The previous owner put the RS4 B8 20″ RS wheels if it makes any difference (the 10 spokes version).

Thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

JMHO…
        Could be anything from a bent rim to a bent frame component.
        Damaged suspension component.
        Damaged bearing or bushing.
        My suggestion:
        Take the vehicle to a quality front end shop, explain what happened and the result and have the vehicle given a inspection.

Ugo BUgo Boulet
        Participant

Hi Richard!

I lifted the front end to compare both sides and they were sadly strictly identical. No leaks either. So I looked for a shop with high ratings and brought them the car. They put it on a lift, inspected it: nothing (well, 2 clips missing on the belly pan). They then took both left wheels off and put them on a wheel balancer. They added a small weight to one and that was it. The wheels weren’t bent or cracked. All of that took an hour and was very inconclusive so the mechanic took the keys and we went for a drive.
          It took a couple turns for him to blame the front left wheel bearing, and notice the alignment was off and pointed the wheels to the right ever so slightly (to quote him, 1°).

Tomorrow the front left wheel bearing is getting replaced, after what if the issue is fixed I’ll get an alignment. If it’s not fixed, well…let’s not think about it 🙂

Again thank you for the advices, I’ll keep the thread updated if someone ever finds it.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
          Participant

Best of luck

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…