Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Is the snapon student discount worth it?

Is the snapon student discount worth it?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Is the snapon student discount worth it?

• Creator
    Topic
    MattMatt
    Participant

Through my school I get a 50% discount. I think there is only certain tools that an apprentice would have. Is it worth using this discount?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Joeseph MamaJoeseph Mama
      Participant

I think it’s worth it because snap-on only makes 500% profit off your purchases as opposed to the normal 5,000%.

JoeJoe
        Participant

it’s worth it for some stuff. Buy a good smoker system. If you can get a good pneumatic 1/2 impact for around $200 then go for it. A good ratchet wrench set (metric) is also not a bad deal.

stay away from the toolboxes and stay away from all the shiny stuff. Don’t spend more than you can afford.

AlexanderAlexander
          Participant

The discount is defiantly worth it. When I was in school I had saved up enough money to build a nice sized starter set, with a box on sale from Craftsman for the tools to sleep in. As you go through classes make note of the tools you use the most, and put them on your “wishlist” so to speak.

I know some tools you aren’t allowed to use the discount on, and the 50% off can give you a head start on the basics. But don’t expect to be able to not need things from the various trucks that will stop by the shop in the field.

JoeJoe
            Participant

most of the time the hand tools still aren’t worth it even with the 50% off.

Rene PerezRene Perez
              Participant

I would say do it if you genuinely know that you will have a job that will let you use your tools. I got myself a set of tools, metric to be specific from snap on along with a tool box. I don’t work in a position I can use my tools because my job already provides tools even though half of them are either missing or stolen. I would really think twice before you get them. One thing that kills are the finance charges snap on gets you with. My advice is, try your best to make more than the minimum payment if you can to either break even or pay more for the payments along with finance charges. Finance charges takes a good portion of your payment. Also, be sure if you do plan to get them, have a stable job that will pay you for using your tools.

JoeJoe
                Participant

rsp brings up a good point about finance charges. The matco guy that comes around here charges 18% interest monthly. I’ve seen as high as 24%. That’s a lot of money if you take a few months with a couple grand on the tool bill.

Pat61Pat61
                  Participant

[quote=”zlambie9″ post=102526]Through my school I get a 50% discount. I think there is only certain tools that an apprentice would have. Is it worth using this discount?[/quote]

Clearly I’m in the minority here, but I think it’s well worth it to acquire a good starter set form Snap-On. Get yourself set up with 3/8s & 1/2 in sockets, something like 9 to 19mm in wrenches, punches & chisels and a 1/4″ drive socket set.

Get their flare nut wrench set and 80 tooth ratchet too. The ratchet isn’t as tough as the coarse toothed model, but it’s a marvel in cramped quarters. Their flare nut wrenches just flat work and are worth the extra shekels.

I would not be afraid of their boxes, but get the starter set first. Boxes will go on sale, so get one when you outgrow your first one. FWIW, I do like their boxes, and the best thing about them is that you can still move them around even when severely overloaded …ain’t gonna do that with no Craftsman. Avoid their road chest -it will break when overloaded and moved, just like any other big top box.

On the lighter side, if you get their screwdrivers, get the brightly colored ones. I lost a clear handled one some years ago, and found it on a timing belt job several years later!

Having said that, don’t buy too much as you will develop preferences for certain tools as time goes by. Save $ and go cheap on any SAE tools. I doubt they will ever see heavy usage.

Attachments:
                  Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…