Menu

Is Your Ego a Problem?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG1 Video Discussions Is Your Ego a Problem?

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

Well is it? What are your experiences with ego? Have you run into issues at work? How do you think ego effects the workplace?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dave OlsonDave
      Participant

I think we are all guilty of this one.

I have this issue with 2 co-workers, one is a guy hired 2 weeks before me and he thinks he knows it all, but he should not be allowed within 20 feet of a car. The boss walks past him to give me things to do/look-up. the other is the bosses kid and there is not much I can do there. But like I said we are all guilty and I know I had an ego trip affect my work.

Right after I go into how tools should be put away when done I forget to put a wrench or screwdriver away.

GeorgeGeorge
        Participant

Ego usually comes from experience and age. If you’re young and inexperienced and have an ego problem you have worse issues. We should all be have with a little bit of an ego because we’re always striving for the best and to do the best. But when the ego becomes an issue with co-workers, friends or even family then that’s when the problem arises.

I can honestly say I don’t have an ego issue. I know enough about cars that I can help my friends and in helping them I try to teach them about what I know. Maybe that ghost in your shop has an ego problem what you should acknowledge Eric, LOL!

Michele PensottiMichele Pensotti
          Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=66229]Well is it? What are your experiences with ego? Have you run into issues at work? How do you think ego effects the workplace?
            [/quote]

Wow!

You must be kinda telepatic Eric!

This is one of those one million dollar questions I have been wrestling since I was a kid ๐Ÿ™‚

It took me the better part of my 40 years (yeah it’s my birthday today! :silly: ) to learn to muster my ego and my temper that come with it.

Since I was a small kid I had these episodes of blind rage , mostly verbal , but with devastating effect.
            The worst thing is I frightened not only the people that were present at the “explosion”, but myself!

So I grew up fearing confrontation , often giving up occasions and social/working life because I feared what that part of me could do.
            I lost…some part of my youth because of that.

The redeeming thing that actually helped me out of that was, and is, working, feeling useful.

The best of that sense of usefullness is, of course, given by my working as a technician, as you already know. ๐Ÿ˜‰

And the work put me into very very confrontational situations, where “the beast” (my ego) tried to steal me of all the good I had built and done.

I have to admit I took a very deep inspiration from my boss and one of my colleagues, which, with their calm reactions to problems that upset me, did teach me through the years how to react to problems.
            I’m still learning. :cheer:

I vividly remember the “Be like Yoda” video; that’s wiseness in a youtube format! ๐Ÿ™‚

I used to believe only *I* could do some things the *best* way, even more, I really did believe *my way* was the *only* way.
            So I went around dispensing advice.

NOW after some 14 years of this work, I admit it must have been very very hard to bear with me, at times… ๐Ÿ˜›

I really think some of this “calmness” has come with age, maybe it’s propedeutical.
            However, I think age alone is only a positive help if one keeps wanting to learn to be a better person.

Sometimes what may seem as “the best possible way to do something” is only because of a very peculiar point of view or frame of mind we are in that particular moment.
            Just give it some time and that point of view, especially if you listen “the others”, could change, maybe a little, maybe a lot.

And with that change can come also more learning, more growing up, both professionally AND as a human being.

So, thank Eric for bringing this up, I love when you kick the ball off and give a chance to talk about ourselves.
            You could really make a good psychologist! (I mean this as a compliment eh! ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Live long and prosper (and stay dirty!!)

10nico

Alex F.Alex F.
            Participant

Happy Birthday

davedave
              Participant

every time I do an oil change or change a tire I turn into a testosterone raged bad ass.

Alex F.Alex F.
                Participant

But its not an issue if your not around other mechanics, but we ALL get too big for our britches every now and then…

Alex F.Alex F.
                  Participant

Thanks for sharing this, This will help me when i get into some predicament ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ˜‰

ChrisR1987ChrisR1987
                    Participant

This is my video response to the video enjoy y’all

ChrisR1987ChrisR1987
                      Participant

hey call me dumb but is there a way i can post a youtube link to my video response to the video?

Keymaster

[quote=”ChrisR1987″ post=66361]hey call me dumb but is there a way i can post a youtube link to my video response to the video?[/quote]

If you’re looking to make it a response to the original video just click ‘comments’ and instead of typing a comment, click ‘add video response’. Once you do that, select the video, I’ll approve it, and you’re done.

Keymaster

I LOVE the discussion this has kicked off. Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences. Keep them coming.

cbridencbriden
                            Participant

I think ego is mostly about trying to hide your insecurities. I think it makes you deaf and blind to people who are trying to help you. Have you ever met someone who just tells you their resume over and over again ? I did this, I did that, I am the best at this, I can do anything better than you, ect…. Truth is we all have a lot to learn and everybody deserves respect for making it this far in life. Life challenges await around every corner and sometimes you will be in a position of strength and other times you will be the one who needs help. I have been on both sides – which helps me not dish out ego. I still receive it from other people unfortunately. My age has helped me focus on what is really important so I don’t get to worked up about things like this anymore. I just focus on solving the problem – not getting the credit.

BRUCEBRUCE
                              Participant

Hey Eric, I’ve been a mechanic for a long time and to me ego seems to be an issue where ever you go ! When I started out in this business I worked for 3 or 4 dealerships. They are all the same to me. I always tried to help others but always found fellow mechanics that wouldn’t say hello. They didn’t want you to get ahead. Who has what job, he made more hours then me. Egos where more of a problem then the cars were! If there is a younger guy or an older guy that needs help, then give them a hand because someday you might need one! Forget that ego, its bad stuff! Nobody, nobody knows everything. I’ve quit a few jobs over other peoples egos. When you go to work everyday you don’t need to deal with all of that bull………I say be cool don’t be a jerk!

BillBill
                                Participant

I work with a younger guy who has an ego. It’s because of that ego that he spent almost 2 hours trying to remove a front wheel bearing on a Dodge 4×4. He just wouldn’t try my suggestion.

When he went to the shitter I removed the bearing in about 2 minutes. When he returned he looked at me and said “WTF” I just replied, Asshole and walked away.

His ego is one thing but he’s a back stabber too.

Flemming JacobsenFlemming Jacobsen
                                  Participant

Chris R, what do you mean?. I can see your link fine, you just have to click the little grey shield and accept unsecure contents for some odd reason.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…