Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • It’s one of my dream cars, should I buy one?

It’s one of my dream cars, should I buy one?

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Favorite Cars It’s one of my dream cars, should I buy one?

• Creator
    Topic
    Brandon HillBrandon Hill
    Participant

What are your pros and cons on the 1999-2005 Pontiac Grand Ams? It’s one of my dream cars. I’m possibly looking to get one as my first car, I know the 3.4 engines are known for headgasket problems.
      ~Brandon

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dosmastrdosmastr
      Participant

They are sharp looking.

Just look at the numbers. its not horrible on gas but not a 4 banger either, could you afford it?
        head gaskets are hard but not impossible, my bro did his k1500 in a week and for under 300 bucks (including specialty tools for just that job)

and it may just come down to condition and price… is the price right (fair or even good)?
        Did they baby it or beat it?

it being your dream car is an intangible, can’t really measure it, but the other things you can measure and trust.

I’ve wanted an Iroc-Z for years but for the above reasons never got one (I drive alot, gas would kill me). Don’t be a fuddy like me but don’t get yourself into a situation you regret.

hope my 1 cent helps

Brandon HillBrandon Hill
        Participant

Thanks man, this helps a lot 🙂

Dave OlsonDave
          Participant

Those cars have a long list of issues (Reliability is one). In my area they are considered a throw away car we beat on them till they die then take it to the junkyard.

But it is one of your dream cars so be patient and make sure the one you get is exactly the one you want. It would suck later to have one of those if only moments after you already bought one.

NickNick
            Participant

2003 and earlier 2.2 Ecotec 4 Cylinders were known for timing chain tensioner problems. I am not a fan of GM I think their quality control is horrible and there are just a ton of little problems that add up. I will never ever own another Gm product again.

Brandon HillBrandon Hill
              Participant

Ok, Thanks man (:

Brandon HillBrandon Hill
                Participant

Yeah, I’m possibly looking into a Cavalier as well. Thanks (:

NickNick
                  Participant

Parts are incredibly cheap in the junkyards for these cars. There is a reason why because there are a ton of them in junk yards. I just bought a 2001 Grand Am for $425 an engine with 108k for $380 and a transmission for $195 $70 for new fluids . Soo basically $1070 total

Cheap huh. There is a reason Gm hasn’t made a decent quality car in a long long time.

Gary BrownGary
                    Participant

[quote=”SigSaurP228″ post=125015]Parts are incredibly cheap in the junkyards for these cars. There is a reason why because there are a ton of them in junk yards. I just bought a 2001 Grand Am for $425 an engine with 108k for $380 and a transmission for $195 $70 for new fluids . Soo basically $1070 total

Cheap huh. There is a reason Gm hasn’t made a decent quality car in a long long time.[/quote] I don’t think thats a fair generalization. Newer GM has improved in quality. I could certainly say the same thing about Toyota and Honda that have declined in quality drastically. It is a industry wide issue, not brand specific. 2000-2005 was a bad range of years for alot of brands, not just GM.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…