Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Knock in my Jeep Cheroke Larado 4.0 2000

Knock in my Jeep Cheroke Larado 4.0 2000

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Knock in my Jeep Cheroke Larado 4.0 2000

• Creator
    Topic
    Frederick HeitmannFrederick Heitmann
    Participant

I have the same problem as Eric’s video on you tube and i really need to know what’s going on so i can fix this I was at the doctors office and left there and was on the way home when the knock started I have tried a few things like changing the oil .When i bought this jeep i moved from oil to Synthetic oil and now i have changed back to just plan oil I bought the jeep with 131750 and it has 133100 miles now I got it in june of 2016 and i am on disability so i do not have the money to have a mec work on it i have to do it all myself.So please let me know what it more then likely it is.Thank you guys for reading my problem.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
      Participant

If your lucky ..
        The issue may be on the top end.
        Lifter, rocker arm, push rod, possibly cam damage
        If your not …
        Connecting rod or main bearing damage.

You can drain the oil and pass it through a coffee filter to see if there is metal particles.

Participant

I had the value cover off and all seamed good there.I have had no lose of power But the knock is loud and never goes away.

MikeMike
          Participant

Those old 4.0 I6 engines have a reputation for durability, so I wouldn’t jump to catastrophic conclusions just yet.

If you could post a video or an audio clip of the noise, that would be helpful. One man’s knock is another man’s click.

Participant

Okay guys here is the full story of the maintains of my jeep .I bought it in june of 2016 and in august i changed the oil to synthetic oil ,when i did i could here a small tick and when i say small i do mean small and i figured it to be a lifter so i just let it go as you could not here it at all when you drove the jeep.I then had a problem with keeping the belt on and after months of this starting in September of 2017 i found the problem in February of this year and it was the bracket that held the alternator it had only one bolt left that was connect to the motor so i replace the lost bolts with new ones and that was fixed accept for i could not find the right size belt so we got a belt and made it go on and it was a good tight one and all was good ,but we also had the power steering pump off at the time to make sure that it was not the pump that was making the belt come off.I did not bleed the pump as i did not know that we needed to. I still have not done this.I was a very short time that this knock came into being and i have not done this because as i said the knock showed up and i wass thinking that after i fixed the knock i would bleed the pump.This brings you up to date as to what i have done to the jeep since i bought it.

Participant

You asked for a video and i am sorry it took so long to get it to you all. Here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN_0ZX-H8jU

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
                Participant

You can use a engine stethoscope to localize the noise.
                  JMHO,
                  I believe it originates in the bottom end… sorry

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                Loading…