Menu

late ignation timing

• Creator
    Topic
    Joe BenincassoJoe Benincasso
    Participant

I have a 1954 Studebaker truck with a 259 v8 in it which was running poorly. I did a vacuum test and it showed between 15 and 16 hg’s which is late ignition timing. After resetting the timing and another vacuum test showed the same thing I plugged the vacuum line and checked the vacuum advance showed the vacuum advance to be good. There is no valve tapping or any other noises coming from the engine. What else can I look for? Thanks.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MikeMike
      Participant

For starters, what, if anything, was done to the car besides adjusting the timing?

Did you first set the dwell first and then adjust the timing with the vacuum advance hose disconnected and plugged?
        You must do these things in that order.
        If the points and condenser need replacing, that affects the way it runs.
        Same for spark plugs, air and fuel filters and , of course carburetor adjustment—these are all maintenance items…..
        Have the spark plugs been inspected for wear and the gap checked?
        Was the fuel filter changed and the fuel mixture adjusted?
        Did you check to ensure that the carburetor weights move freely?
        Does the vacuum advance actually work when vacuum is applied?
        Are the cap and rotor in need of replacement? The wires?
        Are the wires on the cap (and on the right plugs) in the proper firing order (1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2)?
        Has compression been checked?

Joe BenincassoJoe Benincasso
        Participant

thanks, I manage to find the problem. It seems the 2 nuts that hold the pick up coil on got loose and came off and in the process messed every thing up.

MikeMike
          Participant

Glad you found the problem.
            Thanks for posting what you found.
            I hope nothing was damaged.

Nice that you have electronic ignition.
            Much less trouble than points–unless the pickup coil screws or nuts loosen 😉
            Might try some threadlocker to prevent it from happening again.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…