Menu

Light issue

• Creator
    Topic
    Jason Alexmckrishes
    Participant

2001 Chevy S-10 4.3 liter v-6 LS model

Hello, I have some electrical issues, I hope someone can help.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

The parking lights and reverse lights not coming on. check all your fuses. your owners manual may help with fuse/location.
        as for the blinkers working and not the park lights.The bulb is a dual filament bulb.meaning one bulb does two jobs.if the fuses
        check out. pick up a new bulb and replace one see if it works.you can also find any plug connectors to make sure everything is
        plugged in.you will need a 12v test light or a dvom for more advanced troubleshooting.The dome light staying on.there will be
        door switches at each door and hatch.you will need to pull and check each switch to check for a stuck closed switch. you could
        try operating each switch before pulling.to see if stuck.I believe that the daytime lights coming on is normal.they come on so people
        can see you.C8-)

dreamer2355dreamer2355
        Participant

+1 with the above post.

Id also be looking at some wiring diagrams to start tracing circuits.

Also, you may have a back up switch on your transmission but again, just follow the wiring diagrams and you should be good.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

Parking lights are on a separate circuit than the turn signals that’s why the bulb has 2 filaments. To me it sounds like you have several issues that probably aren’t related although GM headlight switches are known for problems so you might want to start your search there, sometimes you can see burned spots where the connector plugs into the back of the switch or in the wiring itself, other than that it’s time to find wiring diagrams for all of the effected circuits because there really aren’t any short cuts when it comes to electrical diagnosis.

Jason Alexmckrishes
            Participant

Quoted From mckrishes:

2001 Chevy S-10 4.3 liter v-6 LS model

Hello, I have some electrical issues, I hope someone can help.

1. The parking lights won’t come on when I turn on the switch. I don’t think it’s a bulb issue, because if I turn on the turn signal for left or right, the lights will flash properly. And it seems like it uses the same bulb.

2. The reverse lights won’t come on when I put the truck in reverse.

3. For some reason, the interior light stays on all the time unless I use the dome override feature.

4. Not sure if this is an issue, but when I turn the car on, the daytime running lights come on, that is, the low beam lights, and they are at full power. Is this normal?

Where should I start? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have an update.

1. Parking lights still don’t work. I am still trying to figure out how to read these wiring diagrams. The bulbs are intact with both filaments intact. All fuses are good. I’ll investigate further once I figure out how to read these diagrams.

2. Still having problems with the reverse lights. I am gonna get a meter and see if I can test for power at the socket. I’ve done some research and have a question. There is no reverse light switch for the automatic, but a neutral safety switch. Does this switch operate the reverse lights?

3. I figured out that the interior lights are staying on because my driver side door is hanging and thus unable to press the door jamb light switch. So I will be replacing the hinges and getting the door where it is supposed to be.

4. I realized that the daytime running lights are supposed to be on the high beams. What is actually happening is when I turn the car on, the headlights and tail lights are coming on. This car has a light sensor and it seems someone cut it completely off. I went to the local junk yard and picked up some light sensors and tried wiring them together, but haven’t had any luck.

5. On a previous post (which I couldn’t find) my fan speed was only working on 3 and 4 and not on 1 and 2. I changed out the blower motor resistor and now I have operation on all speeds.

Slowly but surely it will get done. Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Keymaster

Have you checked the operation of the headlight switch yet?

Jason Alexmckrishes
                Participant

Quoted From EricTheCarGuy:

Have you checked the operation of the headlight switch yet?

I checked the headlight switch and it’s working properly. I swapped out the parking relay with a few other relays without success. So I guess the next step will be to trace the wires.

Jason Alexmckrishes
                  Participant

Progressing slowly, but surely. I installed a new ambient light sensor I got from a junk yard and now the automatic head light system is working properly. Still no luck with the parking lights. The left rear parking light and side marker (parking) light are working properly. The right rear parking light isn’t working. The right rear side marker (parking) light was working, but it’s not anymore. It stopped working after I accessed the body relay block under the dash in an attempt to change the parking relay. I used several relays I picked up from the local junk yard without success. I’ve been studying the wiring diagrams and trying to understand them. What I’ve learned so far:

1. As Eric said, the parking lights are on a separate circuit. The stop lights work just fine.

2. The front parking lights/side markers, rear parking lights/side markers, appear to be on the same circuit and connected to the parking relay and to the headlamp switch. I swapped out the headlamp switch with one at the junk yard without success. All other features on the switch work except park lights. All fuses were checked and are intact.

What confuses me is why none of the parking lights are working except the left rear if they are on the same circuit. Unless each of the other lights has a wiring issue. I checked for power at the socket and reported zero volts on all other sockets. With the flashers on, I am reporting 4.3-5 volts at socket.

I’ll continue to study the diagrams and will eventually trace the wires as soon as I confirm the ones I need to trace. I guess its possible that I could have a wiring issue at each of the other areas, but that would be odd.

college mancollege man

have you checked the fuses under the hood for tail and turn lights? theres quite a few.C8-)

Jason Alexmckrishes
                      Participant

Quoted From college man:

have you checked the fuses under the hood for tail and turn lights? theres quite a few.C8-)

I did and they are all intact.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                        Participant

Did you try running a independent ground to the lights that do not work?

Keymaster

I believe when you get a new headlight switch (at least from GM) it comes with a pigtail connector with the wires and connector, the reason for this is because it’s common for that headlight switch to go bad and damage the wiring and sometimes the connector, even though you swapped out the switch there could still be an issue with the wiring or a connection issue.

That said at this point you NEED a wiring diagram and some testing equipment to trace the power and grounds and find out where you’re missing one or both of those 2 things, anything else at this point would be just a guess.

Jason Alexmckrishes
                            Participant

Job is complete. All parking lights are working. I re-checked all the fuses and found the front parking light fuse blown. I must have overlooked it. I replaced it and got my front parking lights back. After studying the wiring diagrams, I began to trace the wires from the socket. I came upon some kind of switch or something. It had a cap on it and one side was loose, so I pulled it off and cleaned it and secured it back on. After that I checked all the parking lights and they were working! Also the back up lights started working again. Below is a picture of the loose connecter/switch or whatever it was.

MattMatt
                              Participant

Congrats on fixing yer ride bud. Well done.

college mancollege man

great job on the fix. thanks for the update. It looks like a connector with a jumper cap installed.C8-)

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                                  Participant

Great job in your diagnosis!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…