Menu

Lights always on

• Creator
    Topic
    SonJa MorganSonJa
    Participant

Hey All, I could really use some help.
      I finally got my batery terminals changed out after too many trips to the parts store…i tried to avoid the brass lugs but ultimately that is what I ended up using for a tight enough fit. I have a 1991 Honda civic Wagon 4WD and a brand new 100 month battery from Honda, started fine, ran fine…but my my brake lights are ALWAYS on, even without the key in the car. Not the instrument panel light, but the three red ones viewed from the back. As soon as I hook the neg terminal back up, lights are on.
      I was hoping there was a fuse for these things so I could just pull it out and put it back in when I drive (instead of the battery unhook), but no.
      Am I on the right track to suspect a short somewhere? Or can this be a symptom of something to do with the master cylinder? It is not the parking brake…i never use it. It seems out there to ask about Master Cylinder, but on my test drive after it sat for a week, I noticed the brake pedal pushed kinda far…although it could be that I have been driving my other Honda for the last week so that feeling was just different? I don’t know. The reservoir is full and has not dropped any in the past year or so.
      I am no electrical guru for sure, so if anyone has any ideas or thoughts AND any suggestions on how to find/fix, I would sure be grateful.
      Thanks, SonJa

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Billy AndrewsBilly
      Participant

Re the brake lights, there is a switch activated by the brake pedal; see if that is stuck closed. If not, get the circuit diagram and follow it; the circuit is not too complex.

Nightflyr *Richard Kirshy
        Participant

Agree, my first thought would be the brake light switch being faulty or the mount that attaches it being bent.

SonJa MorganSonJa
          Participant

Thanks! Yes, I got that FINALLY. And, here is the crazy part…the switch is fine. And it doesnt need adjustment to reach, which is good because getting a wrench on that nut is just…almost impossible! But, apparently there WAS a grommet of sorts on the brake pedal. This is what touches the switch. The grommet was GONEZO…which explains the “weird blue crayola crayon chunk” I found on my floor board. And all I could do was improvise. I thought about supergluing a coin to the brake pedal. I thought about just taping a plate to it. But, I found a long bolt with a flat head, almost like a fender washer welded to a stud, and cut it down to be shorter then put a locknut on the other side. I figure it was the thinnest thing I could add…i didnt know if the switch could be “too pressed”…but even if it is, the worst case is no brake lights and a ticket.
            I do not know HOW the “blie crayola crayon” grommet got outta there, except maybe age? But, ot did.
            I never knew about this switch as most of my trobles are mechanical, not physical, but I am glad to:
            A-Have this one behind me (for now) and
            B-add it to my tool chest of experience

Thanks all for responding.
            I am not so much of a mechanic as I am an “installation is the opposite of removal” kind of gal, but I am continuing to learn.
            I love this car. I have wanted this model for 20 years and as luck would have it, I finnaly broke down and got it when Honda stopped making parts (sad face here), but I still love it.
            ~SonJa

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          Loading…