Menu

Little Dogs

• Creator
    Topic
    EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
    Keymaster

We’ve all run into them. How do you deal with them?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      AKGCAKGC
      Participant

Hope you weren’t referring to me in the video about the fed reg on HIDs and calling the feds lol.

My last 3 posts on the subject.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/kunena/18-The-EricTheCarGuy-Video-Forum/44923-how-to-install-an-hid-headlight-kit?start=70

I try to present info in an objective way, but people usually put there own subjective interpretation on it.

RereonehundredRereonehundred
        Participant

Eric:

Do I correctly read that you have 380 000 subscribers? If so, then you’re a big dog, and the intimidated little yelpers will certainly be barking at you. It’s human nature, and you can’t fix it. You can only control you response to it.

I had the great privilege of working with a very distinguished 84 year old. When our project drew out the yelpers, the old sage just told me that we’re flying 20 000 feet above the “barking”. In other words,ignore it and continue to make your contribution.

But part of what is happening is the loss of your anonymity, and yelpers have found you.

Success has its price, but just keep learning and maintain your dignity as you have done. Fly 20 000 feet above the yelps, and you won’t even hear them and won’t feel the need to respond to them.

JoshJosh
          Participant

Just got done watching your video. I have one of those tiny yelpers in my shop who thinks he’s the end all be all…I don’t mind it for the most part since I am a beginner and the new guy in the shop. But for the one saying how your illegal with your lighting system on your element, he’s just jealous he don’t have it on his ride and you do. Its fully legal and if it wasn’t I am pretty sure a law enforcement officer would have pulled you over to tell you about it anyway. Done let them get you down. I enjoy all you’re videos and I am always learning something from them. Just like how I am going to be working on my Subaru brakes soon, I am copying you with all the tools needed. Well that’s all I really wanted to say before I get off topic.

Michele PensottiMichele Pensotti
            Participant

Completely agree with you Eric!

Little dogs are a very diffused kind, and the more one dignifies them with an answer, the more they bark.

Very annoying, but also very useful to put one’s “Yodaness” to the test 😉

I think you could be a very good psychologist Eric, very sharp and to the point!

The best thing a “big dog” can do to them is to send them to get lost, but with a shiny smile on your face, and in not-so-clear terms, so they remain there to ask themselves “what did he really tell me? should I bark some more?” :woohoo:

It’s a very very subtle art, but also very rewarding 😉

Live long and prosper (and stay dirty!)

10nico

Keymaster

I enjoyed this video myself but I’m really enjoying the responses to it. In fact, I can hardly keep up with them. It seems that everyone deals with ‘little dogs’ from time to time. The most popular advice seems to be, ‘let them bark and then go back to doing whatever it was you were doing before the interruption’. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions. Keep them coming.

jeep72jeep72
                Participant

Little dogs I have been around them. I just don’t pay them no mind in one ear out the other.

Jeff KetchemJeff Ketchem
                  Participant

I find them amusing. One thing to remember about the little dogs, you only gotta worry when they quit barking. Just grin and enjoy being the center of their universe. Bite and bark only when you need.

Lee AnnLee Ann

Someone very wise once gave me this advice-

When people (little dogs) feel the need to sling crap (bark), put on your “emotional raincoat” so it all slides off of you and onto the ground (where it belongs).

I might also add that when one is willing to keep an open mind, one can learn something new (at least about human behavior) from even these “little dogs.”

Always stay positive. 🙂

Lorrin BarthLorrin Barth
                      Participant

My adult life consisted of working for local government and in every job I filled I had contact with the public. I made a habit of constantly telling myself that the person in my office wasn’t just a visitor or customer, they were my boss, which in reality they were. Well, when you tell your boss that they are wrong you do so very carefully.

A phone call from the public would often begin with, “I suppose you’re going to give me the run around too.” To which I would reply, “There are certain things which I am empowered to do for you and many things which I cannot.” In other words, always tell the truth.

One thing which never failed to work, and maybe this isn’t a luxury you have in private enterprise, but when presented with a truly silly or goofy complaint, is the half hour detailed explanation. I mean I enjoyed my work so get out the books and charts and go at it. This showed I cared enough to spend the time and it showed we had good reasoning to back up the policy. Best of all, I ever got past the 10 minute mark before the customer (boss) backed out of my office.

I was at a dealership the other day and the service writer and a young man were in conference in a corner of the waiting room. The young man was explaining that he had been on the forums till 4:00 AM seeking a solution to his car problem. Well, the service writer acted as if he was hanging on every word and it was a long conversation. It was an amazing demonstration of what is becoming a lost art in America.

Keymaster

[quote=”barneyb” post=93769]My adult life consisted of working for local government and in every job I filled I had contact with the public. I made a habit of constantly telling myself that the person in my office wasn’t just a visitor or customer, they were my boss, which in reality they were. Well, when you tell your boss that they are wrong you do so very carefully.

A phone call from the public would often begin with, “I suppose you’re going to give me the run around too.” To which I would reply, “There are certain things which I am empowered to do for you and many things which I cannot.” In other words, always tell the truth.

One thing which never failed to work, and maybe this isn’t a luxury you have in private enterprise, but when presented with a truly silly or goofy complaint is the half hour detailed explanation. I mean I enjoyed my work so get out the books and charts and go at it. This showed I cared enough to spend the time and it showed we had good reasoning to back up the policy. Best of all, I ever got past the 10 minute mark before the customer (boss) backed out of my office.

I was at a dealership the other day and the service writer and a young man were in conference in a corner of the waiting room. The young man was explaining that he had been on the forums till 4:00 AM seeking a solution to his car problem. Well, the service writer acted as if he was hanging on every word and it was a long conversation. It was an amazing demonstration of what is becoming a lost art in America.[/quote]

It’s true, patients is a virtue and good customer service is almost a thing of the past.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…