Menu

long start from Wisconsin!

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here long start from Wisconsin!

• Creator
    Topic
    fitonefitone
    Participant

Did the check engine light appear when this occurred or have you used a tester to pull any possible code(s). Might help with an answer. I did this same repair on my 02 Accord V6 and it ran great afterwards, no issues after over 40K miles.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      dgomendgomen
      Participant

Thanks for the response fitone

No I did not get a check engine light at all once I had my egr ports cleaned. The rough idle thing went on for days before the miraculous change and never once did I get a check engine light. I have not checked for any new codes, I don’t have a tester myself so would need to bring it to someone to do that but is this necessary since I never got a check engine light. From what I know, and I don’t know much, all the tester would do is tell me what I already know, that I had a misfire at low RPM’s… right?

I was thinking at first maybe the idle control got fouled up somehow, but the symptoms of that is usually oscillating rpm’s, not misfire. Could the EGR valve itself cause this? And as for the EGR valve I thought if it failed that WOULD give me check engine light?

fitonefitone
        Participant

Just checking on my first response to your question about possible CEL at time of misfire issues. No, if CEL light did not occur no need to use a tester. For future reference Auto Zone and Advance Auto will checks codes for free if one of those stores is in your area.

Usually EGR is replaced along the cleaning EGR ports in my experience and definitely would produce a code if it fails.

Perhaps Eric can weight in on this problem.

dgomendgomen
          Participant

Thanks again fitone, and yeah I hope maybe Eric will take a look at my post, or anyone who may have seen something like this.

I did not replace the EGR valve when I had the ports cleaned. This is the third time I have had the ports cleaned over the years and one of the times I replaced the EGR valve and was told later that this was not usually necessary, so I didn’t this time after the mechanic who did the cleaning agreed. Plus I just can’t see how the EGR could cause the symptoms described anyway. Got to be electrical! But what?

hondaslave1342hondaslave1342
            Participant

Quoted From fitone:

Just checking on my first response to your question about possible CEL at time of misfire issues. No, if CEL light did not occur no need to use a tester. For future reference Auto Zone and Advance Auto will checks codes for free if one of those stores is in your area.

Usually EGR is replaced along the cleaning EGR ports in my experience and definitely would produce a code if it fails.

Perhaps Eric can weight in on this problem.

as far as autozone checking your CEL, if you live in California they no longer do that…i bought one from amazon for $22…basic but pulls and clears codes……

fitonefitone
              Participant

Granted I do not work on Honda’s full-time but having the upper intake removed and cleaned three times for the mileage of your car seems alot. Did you have the intake drilled and re-sleeved with the larger metal tube ? Just curious, not that this solves your issue.

dgomendgomen
                Participant

Yes, the first time was done when I got the recall notice from Acura. There was no check engine light at that time. They did the modifications and it had no issues for many many miles. I think it was around 60k to 70k miles when I did the recall. Then at about 110k miles or so the check engine light came on for the first time and produced the p0401 code. This is when I had the EGR valve replaced and it was not done by the the factory since it was out of warranty. This last time would now be the third time of cleaning. And from what I have been told for the 3.0, this is not that unusual. The fix supposedly only prolongs the time in between service cleanings.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                  Keymaster

It’s actually quite common for the idle air control valves to go on that engine which would explain why it would do it one day and not the next. If it were say a vacuum leak the problem would not clear itself up the way it did. The next time it acts up try tapping on the IAC while it’s idling to see if the idle changes, if it does replace the IAC and then recheck for the symptom.

dgomendgomen
                    Participant

See this is why I don’t have a site called Davethecarguy 🙂
                      Thanks Eric, I think now this is a strong lead. I had eliminated it from the possibilities because of my lack of knowledge. Now I have a strong lead and so when or if it happens again I will have my handy screwdriver and go give it a whack! Wish me luck all and I will let everyone know if this issue gets resolved. I think this is a great site, the structure, the knowledge, the video connection tying it all together. Nice job Eric! Thanks

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                      Keymaster

Thanks very much for your comments. Keep us posted on your progress.

kevinlawkevinlaw
                        Participant

I had similar intermittent issue with my 97 CL 2.2L M.T. after cleaning EGR valve/port. Then, I cleaned up both the IACV and MAP sensor, and problem seems went away.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        Loading…