Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • Low Brake Pedal – 2003 Ford Crown Vic CVPI

Low Brake Pedal – 2003 Ford Crown Vic CVPI

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Low Brake Pedal – 2003 Ford Crown Vic CVPI

• Creator
    Topic
    Joeseph MamaJoeseph Mama
    Participant

Need y’alls opinions on what can cause low brake pedal on a crown vic… I believe it has disc brakes all the way around, with a drum parking brake. I did a front brake job like 8 months ago and the car has been driven lightly since then. I’ve never even looked at, seen or touched the rear brakes since owning this vehicle… which I guess I should since it is a rear wheel drive and the back brakes actually have braking power (needed to stop the drive train, unlike it’s front wheel drive counterpart.)

I know vehicles with drum brakes are susceptible to this because of star wheel adjustment issues, but not quite sure what would cause this on all around disc.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

Pull the rear calipers and see how much pad life is left.
        If the pistons are far out from needing pads this will
        affect pedal feel.

george gonzalezgeorge gonzalez
        Participant

Either the pads are very worn and have some clearance or the brake adjusters are all rusted up or the master cylinder is bad, or all of the above, that’s my experience.

Joeseph MamaJoeseph Mama
          Participant

I think it’s time I actually take a look at the back brakes thank you all for your help 🙂

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
            Keymaster

Actually on all vehicles the front brakes do about 80% of the work. It has more to do with how weight is transferred when you brake than whether the wheels are the drive wheels or not. However, brake pedal ‘feel’ has more to do with the rear wheels than the front wheels typically.

I like your idea of having a look at the brakes themselves. Always a good idea to do an inspection when you think somethings up. This video may be helpful. Don’t worry that it’s on front disc because the same applies for the rear.

More videos and info on brakes here.

http://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/solving-brake-problems

Good luck and keep us posted.

Joeseph MamaJoeseph Mama
              Participant

Just slapped on some pads… brake pedal = bueno. banana:

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…