Menu

Machine Shop

• Creator
    Topic
    Caleb StovallCaleb Stovall
    Participant

I’m trying to build a B18C1 engine but I’m having a hell of a time finding a machine shop anywhere near me.

Most are for big tractor engines, don’t touch foreign engines, or look at me and see a kid that isn’t serious about building an engine or willing to put out the money required to build an engine.
      I was talking to Brangers Performance and Machining.
      I asked for a quote for general engine resurfacing, check for cracks, bore and sleeve cylinders, line bore the crank shaft.

That was June 7th, I’ve sent them several emails since then only to get a reply that they’re too busy….

Does anyone know anyone close to Owensboro Kentucky / Evansville Indiana area?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      RobRob
      Participant

I see a ton of listings and phone numbers for you to call
        several do racing cars…
        http://www.yellowpages.com/owensboro-ky/automobile-machine-shop
        http://www.yellowpages.com/evansville-in/automobile-machine-shop
        another thing you can do is asked other machine shops if they cant do it who else wil do it
        you can even call up some macanic’s shops and ask them… who in the area will do it and who they take it to… because if they have a bad head that needs machinining they have to take it to someone… very few shops have the equitment to bor a head them selves

Participant

Like I said most of these shops have told me they don’t do public work, don’t work on cars, heavy equipment only, closed, or no foreign cars.

This can’t be any machine shop either, they have to know what they’re doing because this isn’t a simple build, the block work is just the beginning.
          I need a shop that reputable, knows what they’re doing and can help me build this car correctly.

You can’t build a solid car without a solid machine shop.

By area I mean anyone reputable with a 3 hours drive or less? I’ll drive farther if I have to but this car isn’t going to be slapped together, their a turbo on it an off we go.
          I have everything I can think of in writing but that doesn’t mean I have it all right either, I’m stuck without a shop, can’t even buy parts.

RobRob
          Participant

you will also have indy you can goto…. if you want my machine shop I goto its about 4.5 hour drive… but I would slso check out indy Im sure you can find some there… ya one thing you are probly running into is alot of them dont have the head plates for your car… thats why I would say ones that do racing should have it… what did they say to when you called and they say they are not open to public and you asked them what other ones they can direct you too??? sorry I cant call around bc today is sunday

Participant

The ones they directed me to were either closed or told me they do my engine.

There’s a couple of ma and pa shops around here but they told me they couldn’t machine a crank shaft to have less than a 100micron total indicated run-out.

I’ve gone to a couple of car meets in my area and asked about machine shops but yea….
              Apparently our car culture is lifted trucks and eBay turbo kits.
              Called Jasper Engines up in Indiana and asked them about machine shops but they weren’t much help.

I’m very sketchy about a lot of the shops I’ve visited so far I just want to make sure I find someone that can help me do this right and make it reliable so at that point a 4.5 hour drive doesn’t sound that bad if I’m getting the services I need.

Participant

I cave, what’s the name of your machine shop? At this point the drive is worth it.

zerozero
                Participant

Try to find a local, or close to you, import car forum and ask there. They’ll know where to go, hell go around to a car show and talk to guys with Hondas and see where they go for their machining.

Maybe consider buying a built short block online.

Leon AlexanderLeon Alexander
                  Participant

I’m fairly new to this, but I did do some searching in my area (Louisville) and found a place called Haas. (http://www.haasmachinecompany.com/index.htm). I looked over the site and it seems like they may be able to help. Looks like they cover a wide variety of machining.

It can’t hurt to call anyway, or look over the site and judge for yourself. I just have no info on if they can machine to less than 100micron. Plus it should be at least a little closer than Indy if that one hasn’t worked out.

Good luck in your search!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  Loading…