Menu

“Malfunctioning” High Beams

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here “Malfunctioning” High Beams

• Creator
    Topic
    WilsonWilson
    Participant

The vehicle in question is a 2011 Camry. As with all modern cars, the Camry has DRLs which uses the high beams at a lower setting. My dad, who drives the car, has told me that both of his high beams don’t work. Since both of them went out at the same time, I decided to check to prove that the highs beams aren’t working. I used the keyless remote to unlock the door which activates the high beams. None of them turned on. Then I ‘flash’ them, none of them turned on. I turned on the low beams and toggled the high beams on. None of them turned on. So I looked on the dash to see if the blue light came on and it did. So that ruled out the switch. I checked the fuse box in the engine bay and checked all four of the fuses that control the headlights. None of them are broken so I know the fuses are good. I went to the store and brought a set of 9005. I installed them in the car and gave it a go. Nothing. I’ve put in brand new bulbs and they didn’t work. So I did a voltage test at the fuse. I got full voltage for the low beams and 0.02v for the high beams. Now this problem has gotten me annoyed. So I checked the old bulbs, thank goodness I didn’t throw them away, to see if they were burnt out. I hooked them up to the multimeter to see if the filament was broken. To my surprise, it wasn’t because it beeped for both bulbs. I hooked them up to an old UPS battery and it lit up. So now I’m convinced that the bulbs are functioning as they should but something is preventing them from being used in the car. I fear that the DRL relay or module isn’t working correctly but I can’t find the relay or the module. HELP!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

Check the headlight Relay marked “HEAD” in the fuse box. Also, I believe the DRL relay is behind the glove box, but kinda fuzzy about that, so I am not 100% on that.

Good luck

-Karl

WilsonWilson
        Participant

I checked the area behind the glove box and I couldn’t find the DRL relay or module. All I found was the ABS module. As for the headlight relay, unless it is bundled with something else, I couldn’t find said relay in the fuse box inside and in the engine bay. Toyota must’ve had some asinine idea to conceal the DRL module/relay. And I’m tired of scouring the internet for any information. This Camry is the base model 4 cylinder engine. Unless you have any other location or idea where they might hide it, I’ll just splice a toggle switch to control the high beams.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…