Menu

Matco vs Snap-On scanners

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Matco vs Snap-On scanners

• Creator
    Topic
    NoelNoel
    Participant

I was recently loaned the new Matco Launch made tablet scanner (Maximus 2.0) AND the new Snap-On Solus Ultra.

I had both for a week and used them on various cars. They are both around $3300.
      The Matco Launch tablet is wireless, and has huge vehicle coverage. It’s not as fast as the Solus Ultra in regards to boot up time. Matco went from dead to ready to scan in 33 seconds, the Solus only took 12 seconds, and has instant response after that. They are both touch screen.

The Matco tablet is Android based, easy to navigate and comes with a wireless DLC. It has a web browser, and is wifi capable. You can download apps just like your cell phone. Comes with a free one year subscription to updates and like $900 per year after that, like Snap-On. Also comes with a 90 Day free trial of Identifix. I can tap on the trouble code, and it instantly brings me to either an online forum via google that describes that particular cars symptoms and codes, or go right to Idnetifix with the same results.
      It has a built in database for a “how to” on oil reset lights, brake reset, and steering angle sensor resets.
      Future features will be able to register multiple DLC’s that you can leave plugged into your customers cars and access info from them while they drive normally.It also has bi-directional control. At the tap of the power button, it goes into hibernation mode until you want to use it again and then it’s instantly up again.

The Snap-On is superfast, but that’s all it is. It’s a superfast code scanner. It is bi-directional, but has no gateway to repair info or a browser. It’s keyless, but not wireless. I loved the boot up time. It was ready to scan by the time I walked to the car. I loved that it auto detects and executes your commands instantly.But for the money, the Launch tablet from Matco is far superior.

I bought the Matco tablet at the end of the week trial. Apparently Launch makes “boxes” you can hook up in line with the tablet that allow you to use it like a scope and battery tester and printer. Did I mention it’s also wireless? lol.

If I didn’t cover everything or am wrong about something, please feel free to correct me or ask any questions.
      I take the tablet home with me and useit for other stuff too, such as Google hangouts, Slacker Radio and it’s calendar function.If my wife is on the laptop, I can watch my vids and movies on it. The huge screen makes it great for navigation and GPS functions too, I can’t stop talking about it lol.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Gary BrownGary
      Participant

I’d say that Snap-On scanners pay for themselves….but it takes years. I think they are overpriced for what they are even though they are excellent machines. I’ve used the Ethos, Modis, Solus, Vantage Pro, and even tho old brick and I must say they are very very well made…just cost prohibitive. As far as Matco scanners go I cannot say I’ve used one therefore I cannot judge.

Pat61Pat61
        Participant

The Matco man told me I could mail in my broken tools. I told him that wasn’t the deal I made in 1979.
          This is my scanner.

Attachments:
          Gary BrownGary
          Participant

[quote=”Pat61″ post=111941]The Matco man told me I could mail in my broken tools. I told him that wasn’t the deal I made in 1979.
            This is my scanner.
            [/quote] Ah the Ethos… my only problem with the ethos is aside from being overpriced…it aint bidirectional. If I want to run a electronic power balance test or switch a purge solenoid on or off or somethin along those lines, I can’t do that with the ethos :angry:

zerozero
            Participant

The last place I worked had recently purchased a Autel MaxiSYS something something that sounds pretty similar. There were only 2 real deficiencies relative to the much more expensive Snap-On Verus. The data polling tended to be a bit slow and it would miss a signal quickly dropping out and it was lacking some of the 2-way functions you were referring to. It’s a safe bet that Android devices are the way it’s all going. Just don’t put anything on there you don’t need. Also Identifix is super awesome if you’ve never used it before. Well 90% of people who had this problem had a failure in X so I’ll check that first and it includes the factory service manuals like Mitchell. Not quite as pretty but the exact same information.

DaveDave
              Participant

Hi I have a demo of the maximus 2 for a week and I like it so far.
                It does a good job, it auto identifies vehicle with a click and has a lot of features and functions.
                The Maximus identifies data pids which are out of range and also reports fuel trim in cell of Block Learn Memory which is useful for certain diagnostics.
                I diagnosed a vehicle with a cat efficiency code so it identified an airflow and engine load issue immediately.
                This car already had prior related issues repaired and a plugged cat replaced about 4 months prior.

I own an autel 906 but it is a wired vehicle link. I am looking for a tool to complement and supplement it.
                (snap on matco and autel all have a wireless vehicle link scanner models available)
                The Maximus is useful because I can sit in my office while monitoring or diagnosing the vehicle at my computer or is very handy for executing actuator tests under the hood so you can actually view what you are commanding. I am a one man shop so this is valuable to me.

The Max products are waterproof, rugged and have a 2 year warranty.
                So I am thinking of buying one a MaxGo it has the same functionality less the scope.

I also own a snap on ethos and solus pro. Both are neither auto identify and both require the keys for the cable. I bought both used inexpensively so I had the ethos for quick data stream and for graphing while using the solus for bi directional tests. Both are now outdated and so slow compared to any of the new tablets.
                I considered a solus edge but snap on does not have as much functionality as either the Autel or the Maximus.
                The one note-able thing tough about snap on is that if they list a test for your vehicle on the menu then it works as it is supposed to.
                And their function or data menu display is fairly consistent between car models and brands.

Even with minimal daily use it is possible to make scan tool pay for itself if you can simply charge $10 to $15 extra on top of your regular labor.
                Any of the newer tablet ones in fact will help pay for themselves in time saved by auto connecting and identifying the vehicle. They are so much better.

DaveDave
                Participant

I have had demos for several weeks now.
                  I had an issue on a 2015 subaru where the codes did not clear correctly with the
                  Autel nor the Matco.
                  I worked on a 2014 mini cooper as well and had codes.
                  The snap on scanner correctly identified the active codes and the permanent codes which have to be cleared by driving the vehicle to prove to the ecm that the system is free of faults before the vehicle clears them.

The snap on had faster live data, perhaps better for testing air fuel ratio sensors or for graphing and monitoring.
                  On a 2008 caravan the Modis did not have nearly as many bi directional functionality though.
                  I had also been checking out on launch pro products.
                  They are the same software and virtually the same tool but launch is less money for cost.
                  Only matco puts extra buttons on the tool and it is my impression that the
                  matco tool is made more rugged and waterproof “drop proof and waterproof”
                  as described by matco.

For a shop or professional diagnostic technician it is important to have more than one scan tool regardless so it is ideal to not buy the expensive of any brand but to get more than one brand to better your coverage or to fill the gaps not covered by any one tool.

I hope my 2 replies to this thread gives some of you out there some useful info to help make decisions.

Divad hDivad h
                  Participant

I have Autel 908p and wish i would have bought the maxisys elite just for the 2 year deal and its slightly better tablet. however I also wish i would have bought the 908 regular without programming because I have heard the programming is not very good with it. Maybe get a Bosch mastertech for programming and Autel regular 908 would be better. If you have unlimited access to your shops verus, then I say trade for autel. makes sense to me. If you work on side then I say have both. Like I said, I have Autel 908p, Autel scope as well as picoscope 4 channel and I just purchased a modis ultra used. I should be able to work on just about anything now. No one tool is best but now I shouldn’t be sending work away. Hope this help

AleahAleah
                    Participant

They are overpriced for what they are even though they are excellent machines…

MattMatt
                      Participant

After shopping around, I bought a SnapOn Solus Edge for $2300 this year. I love it. It’s already about 30% done paying for itself in a matter of months.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      Loading…