Menu

Metric Tap and Die Set.

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Metric Tap and Die Set.

• Creator
    Topic
    Robert McMahangaseousmercury
    Participant

I’m looking to purchase a tap and die set that has coarse and fine threads. Does anyone have an suggestions or can recommend a particular brand that they feel is durable and long lasting. I was looking into Irwin. I am skeptical of some of the cheaper brands (astro, neiko, etc). Any input would be appreciated.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Dennis FriedmanDennis Friedman
      Participant

My be I am wrong, but I thought only we had coarse and fine threads, I have never seen Metric with coarse and fine threads !
        Thank you Dennis

none nonenone
        Participant

In some instances, metrics are a more versatile animal with regards to thread pitch. For example, you can get an M10 with a 1.25, 1.50, or a 1.75 pitch. To the OP, I’d actually recommend a thread chaser set if you’re just going to clean up threads in general repair work. They’re a little more forgiving than your normal taps and dies when the threads are really tough to clean up. There’s a 48 piece kit that all the tool trucks have branded as their own. It’ll cover M6 through at least one pitch in M14 and has standard coarse and fine pitches too. There’ll also be a couple thread files in it that prove themselves over and over again. I like ’em anyway.

zerozero
          Participant

My thread chaser kit (metric off a truck) was one of the best $50 I ever spent. Perfect for when you have some rusty threading or otherwise dirty. They’re also super sweet for chasing lug nuts or wheel studs if things are a bit out of whack. Thread files are also much quicker to use than those stupid pitch gauges you get with tap and die kits.

That being said, if you need to tap it, you need to tap it. I was chasing something I should have tapped and got a nice 1 inch gusher at 8:10am. I would definitely recommend getting the best tap and die set you can afford, I have a “better” store brand one and I can tap something and feel the friction if I run a chaser over it. If you think you’re going to use it often a set of tap sockets would be a good idea.

James O'HaraJames O’Hara
            Participant

I would recommend this http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/675TD/75-PIECE-TAP-AND-DIE-SET/ or this http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/676TDP/117-PIECE-TAP-DIE-AND-DRILL-SET/ Though if you are looking for rethreading/chasing there is this http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/TDK51/51-PIECE-RETHREADING-TAP-AND-DIE-SET/

With that being said there is also Irwin it is what Snap-On uses. Pick your poison though. Also that rethreading kit has been used so many times by people in our shop it is the way to go until you really need to tap a hole or cut threads into a bolt.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…