Menu

Mixing different A/C PAG oils

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here Mixing different A/C PAG oils

• Creator
    Topic
    ScottScott
    Participant

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
      I bought a Delphi CS0061 V5 compressor which was prefilled with RL488 oil. My problem is I can only find online RL488 oil by the case (Delphi Catalog # RL10006) and need to know if oils are compatible for mixing. I pretty much have 4oz PAG 46, 5ish oz of PAG150 on hand.

Apparently RL488 is PAG 125 so could I theoretically combine 46 and 150 until I get about the right viscosity? Or it doesn’t work like that and I should stick with the same viscosity for the entire system.

So that brings me to next question, should I go with GM’s spec of PAG 150 or get some PAG 100 because I cannot find RL488 anywhere, I went to a shop and the guy didn’t know what that was. That’s how I got the PAG 46 since he called his “Delphi guy” and that’s what he said to use. I’m not sure if all Delphi’s use PAG 46 it must be the old ones and RL488 is some brand new technology maybe?

I’m planning on replacing the condenser and I’ve flushed out all other lines and the evaporator core, replaced orifice tube, and got a new accumulator.

I forgot to check to see how much oil was filled by Delphi but I assume it’s 2 oz? The compressor is still sealed but it’s on the car right now.

Delphi won’t honor their warranty if anything but RL488 is used in the system but I don’t care that much about the warranty if I can’t find the oil they want me to use it in.

So should I take compressor off of car and pour out the factory oil and replace it with PAG 150 for the entire system or what do you guys suggest?

Polyalkylene Glycol (PAG) Synthetic Refrigerant Lubricant 250 ml (9 oz) GM# 12345923
      A/C System R-134a Charge Capacity 1.0 kg (2.20 lb) GM# 12345922

Refrigerant Oil Distribution Specifications

Important
      If the refrigerant oil was removed from the A/C system during the recovery process or during the
      component replacement, the refrigerant oil must be replenished. Add the refrigerant oil as indicated.

Replaced Component Oil to Add ml (oz)
      A/C Compressor 60 ml (2 oz)
      Condenser 30 ml (1 oz)
      Evaporator 90 ml (3 oz)
      Accumulator 30 ml (1 oz) plus amount removed
      Abrupt oil loss due to a large refrigerant leak
      Add 90 ml (3 oz) plus the required amount for the component being replaced (cause of the large leak)

Here’s a snippet from Delphi’s warranty sheet.

The correct type and amount of refrigerant oil must be added (refer to vehicle service manual or
      compressor manufacturer for specifications).
      o PAG (Polyalkylene glycol) lubricant must be used for R-134a systems.
      ƒ RL488 125 viscosity (Delphi Catalog # RL10006) must be used for R4, H6, V5
      and V7 compressors.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

I would not mix oils. Use what ever Delphi recommends.

ScottScott
        Participant

I would use RL488 if I could find some not in a 12 pack of 8oz cans when I only need one 8oz can not a whole case of the oil.

Kevin CriswellKevin Criswell
          Participant

[quote=”coil” post=76504]2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
            I bought a Delphi CS0061 V5 compressor which was prefilled with RL488 oil. My problem is I can only find online RL488 oil by the case (Delphi Catalog # RL10006) and need to know if oils are compatible for mixing. I pretty much have 4oz PAG 46, 5ish oz of PAG150 on hand.

Apparently RL488 is PAG 125 so could I theoretically combine 46 and 150 until I get about the right viscosity? Or it doesn’t work like that and I should stick with the same viscosity for the entire system.

So that brings me to next question, should I go with GM’s spec of PAG 150 or get some PAG 100 because I cannot find RL488 anywhere, I went to a shop and the guy didn’t know what that was. That’s how I got the PAG 46 since he called his “Delphi guy” and that’s what he said to use. I’m not sure if all Delphi’s use PAG 46 it must be the old ones and RL488 is some brand new technology maybe?

I’m planning on replacing the condenser and I’ve flushed out all other lines and the evaporator core, replaced orifice tube, and got a new accumulator.

I forgot to check to see how much oil was filled by Delphi but I assume it’s 2 oz? The compressor is still sealed but it’s on the car right now.

Delphi won’t honor their warranty if anything but RL488 is used in the system but I don’t care that much about the warranty if I can’t find the oil they want me to use it in.

So should I take compressor off of car and pour out the factory oil and replace it with PAG 150 for the entire system or what do you guys suggest?

Polyalkylene Glycol (PAG) Synthetic Refrigerant Lubricant 250 ml (9 oz) GM# 12345923
            A/C System R-134a Charge Capacity 1.0 kg (2.20 lb) GM# 12345922

Refrigerant Oil Distribution Specifications

Important
            If the refrigerant oil was removed from the A/C system during the recovery process or during the
            component replacement, the refrigerant oil must be replenished. Add the refrigerant oil as indicated.

Replaced Component Oil to Add ml (oz)
            A/C Compressor 60 ml (2 oz)
            Condenser 30 ml (1 oz)
            Evaporator 90 ml (3 oz)
            Accumulator 30 ml (1 oz) plus amount removed
            Abrupt oil loss due to a large refrigerant leak
            Add 90 ml (3 oz) plus the required amount for the component being replaced (cause of the large leak)

Here’s a snippet from Delphi’s warranty sheet.

The correct type and amount of refrigerant oil must be added (refer to vehicle service manual or
            compressor manufacturer for specifications).
            o PAG (Polyalkylene glycol) lubricant must be used for R-134a systems.
            ƒ RL488 125 viscosity (Delphi Catalog # RL10006) must be used for R4, H6, V5
            and V7 compressors.[/quote]

I called a friend that works at our local GM dealer. He said PAG 100 is fine GM allows for Pag 100 or 150.

This is what he sent me

GM uses Union Carbide #RL-488 (now DOW) single end capped PAG. Viscosity is 132 Centistokes (Cst) at 100 deg. C. It is actually a PAG 132 not 150, we use PAG 100 when we run out of 132 and have had no issues with warranty or returns.

ScottScott
            Participant

Thanks for calling your GM guy Raistian77. Is there a GM part number for that oil? I could possibly order it from the local dealership. Otherwise I’ll have to drain the oil in the compressor and just use PAG 100 oil from AutoZone.

Participant

Just any PAG 100 oil.

The big thing that confuses the A/C guys up there is the requirement for PAG 125. The R4, H6, V5
                and V7 compressors are all swashplate compressors and most swashplate compressors use PAG 60 oil. He told me they have never had a oil related failure from using PAG 100 and never have had a warranty issue.

ScottScott
                Participant

OK so just to be clear I should still drain out what I can of the oil that is already in the compressor and just replace it with PAG 100? I know I wont be able to get all of the old oil out of the compressor so some will still be mixed.

Participant

[quote=”coil” post=76555]OK so just to be clear I should still drain out what I can of the oil that is already in the compressor and just replace it with PAG 100? I know I wont be able to get all of the old oil out of the compressor so some will still be mixed.[/quote]

That will be enough, not a big deal.

Remember to use a NEW bottle of PAG, PAG oil is extremely hydroscopic, it will suck a ton of moisture out of the atmosphere in a short period of time.

And don’t forget you need to evacuate the system will a vacuum pump before charging with freon.

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
                    Keymaster

[quote=”Raistian77″ post=76546]Just any PAG 100 oil.

The big thing that confuses the A/C guys up there is the requirement for PAG 125. The R4, H6, V5
                      and V7 compressors are all swashplate compressors and most swashplate compressors use PAG 60 oil. He told me they have never had a oil related failure from using PAG 100 and never have had a warranty issue.[/quote]

Dude, you’re awesome.

To the original poster. Keep us in the loop on how things work out for you.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    Loading…