Menu

Modifying a car

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge ETCG Suggestion Box Modifying a car

• Creator
    Topic
    GeorgeGeorge
    Participant

Hey Eric, welcome back from your vacation. Hope it was a good 2 weeks off, now get back to work, LOL!!!!!

I had a video suggestion for you which I would be surprised if it hasn’t been suggested yet. Modifying vehicles. I guess there would be a few points for the video so here it goes: I was watching your Element grille video for the 27th time, (put the playlist on youtube at work and just let the videos run) and started thinking about how far is too far on modifying a car. I love modifying my 07 TL, lowering, wheels, exhaust, intake and such. But how far is too far? For example, in resale value, maintenance, reliability, and overall performance of the vehicle.

I would like to see/hear a video from a technician’s point of view on vehicles that come into the dealer that have been modified. I’m sure they’re not too happy seeing those vehicles and having to work on them when who knows who did the work on the cars. Then again I have gotten compliments on my Sentra Spec V from the dealer manager on how my car looks and what I’ve done to it.

Also, I guess the first question might be, what constitutes as modifying? Does changing an OEM air filter to for example, a K&N filter constitute modifying? Does changing a radio, or changing to a different motor oil constitute modifying? This is a debate I’ve seen in several forums that I would like to hear from you about.

Sorry, my thoughts come at random and I write as I think. But anyways, hope you consider this as a video for ETCG.

Love your videos, they keep me up at work at night. I’ve learned a lot from them. Keep doing what you’re doing.

Thanks,
      George

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
      Keymaster

And I was just thinking of what topic to use in the next ETCG1 video. This is a good one and I believe I’ll use it. Look for it in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the suggestion.

richiepearcerichiepearce
        Participant

In the UK modding has an insurance impact, is it the same in the US?

Kody RiggsKody Riggs
          Participant

I live in the State of Colorado and ive never had any inspection, our state doesnt require it. As far as insurance goes, i was able to turbocharge my little beast of a Ford Ranger and i told them about it, they didnt care, But maybe thats just Progressive for ya 😛

GeorgeGeorge
            Participant

In California any modifying can be considered illegal. I’ve spoken to fellow cops that say as long as it’s done right they don’t mind, and in fact appreciate when a car is tastefully done.

Eric, one thing I would like to say is please don’t bash too much on people that modify their cars. Most people do it with the intention to make their cars different from the rest. Imagine if all the cars on the road looked the same, how boring would that be. Also, I know modifying my car in the long run would depreciate the value, we all do, but then it’s the fun part of knowing I am not the same as the car next to me. I admit that some people take it WAY too far, but if it’s done right then why not?

Keymaster

I shot video for this topic yesterday. Look for it in a couple of weeks. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Brian MericaBrian
                Participant

[quote=”EricTheCarGuy” post=71059]I shot video for this topic yesterday. Look for it in a couple of weeks. Thanks again for the suggestion.[/quote]

I must admit, I’d be curious to hear what you have to say. All we see is Eric trying to help the working weekend warrior. Personally, I don’t like all the heavily modified cars, I just don’t understand taking a civic, putting a body kit on it (weight) from what I’ve heard spoilers on a fwd car is kind of moot because it creates drag, so I don’t get the big wings, all the stickers, the big fart can mufflers. These cars make a lot more noise and don’t really get anywhere in a hurry. If you want to drive fast, buy a fast car. Otherwise, I keep it pretty much stock.

NissanMaxxNissanMaxx
                  Participant

A lot of people think that the people who do modify cars are just trying to show off and wasting there money and things like that. That’s not true. People who do modify cars do it for the fun, to call a car their own, to make it special to them and only them, and to really express their love for the car and just to have fun. We people have a love and passion for building modified cars because we love it. However I definitely do agree that some people take it too far and are just obnoxious. I like to keep my car fairly stock looking. Most of my mods are done on the interior (sound system, etc.), and performance. I do have an aftermarket exhaust but it is not loud and obnoxious like most cars have. I’m very excited to hear what you have to say about this topic, Eric. 🙂

GeorgeGeorge
                    Participant

That’s exactly my point…. some people take it too far. Yes, my cars have been lowered, but only about an inch, maybe an 1.5 inches. I also hate those loud Civics. It doesn’t make sense. I modify to make the car my own. In the end we do what we want to a car, but some people just don’t have a clue. I would also like to hear what Eric has to say.

Keymaster

Here’s the video I promised.

A toyotakarlIts me

Great vid…

“Like a snowflake”, LOL!!! As was once told to me “remember you are unique, like everyone else”

I think Walt Kowalski said it very well in his will when he left his Gran Torino to Tao (for those who have seen the movie)….

It is a shame when a classic like a 1970 442 has been painted in black n white checkers with 22’s on them and have the top chopped…. ARGHH!!!

As far as any 16 year old who takes his 1993 Honda and puts on a fart can and big wing… so be it, I don’t care…. I think it is actually pretty funny… kids can have fun and live and learn.. They are not ruining a classic, collectible car…

Car modifications come and go…When I became driving age, I swear 90% of the cars of kids who went to my school were either a Cutlass Supreme (best with swivel buckets and slap shifter), A camaro, or a Nova….. What we did as youths was use air shocks to jack the back end up… We thought it just looked cool… It was supposedly for better traction, but racers long before us realized it was a dated concept and tubs and wider tires were truly the way to better traction…. Kids just gotta go through this stage I suppose… I actually feel a bit bad for todays youths trying to mod their cars… As Eric pointed out, it was much easier back then with a V-8 engine, bigger cam, 4v carbs, etc…. Now cars engines are much more difficult to mod, so external effects are an easier way to modify I suppose…

Now about the dangerous stuff, I have seen more than one donk that has lost a 22 inch wheel because the front end is not designed for a wheel like that… big waste of money, but that is just my opinion…

Another thing that makes me grin are the guys who have the front tires set with excessively positive camber and think it looks cool and makes the car turn on a hair…. whatever, I guess when you go through tires every 5000 miles due to wearing out the edges and can afford it, so be it… Not everyone can afford that…

Since I deal with Toyotas, I hear on certain blogs of people who want to make a Corolla a fast car… I always come back to what Eric says (and I am paraphrasing here) “Why spend money making a slow car fast, instead make a fast car faster”…. But its their money I suppose… I use my Corolla for what it is designed for… cheap transportation…

This is just my opinion, and yours could and probably does differ…..

Now for a funny commercial with a strangely familiar looking guy…..

-Karl

JakeJake
                          Participant

Great Video Eric,

As a technician, depending on the vehicle and it’s mods, I usually don’t care or despise the mods. Headers don’t belong on some vehicles, yet people do it and it makes life difficult just to do a basic oil change. “Stance” cars with their extreme camber wear tires so fast and some of the dbags try to force us to warranty the tires. I’ve had to take “legal” action to prevent some vehicles with 22” rims from leaving as the wheel bearings were GONE.

As someone who owns a Jeep on the other hand, I love mods. The more the merrier lol. But, I do make sure that my mods have some practicality has I do go off road. Also, I try anything to make the sad fuel mileage just a bit better instead of trying to add performance (300,000 mile engine + Supercharger = No engine).

I think you made a great point about the value of a vehicle after mods. In the Off Road community it’s common to see someone trying to sell a vehicle that’s worth $1500 for $7500 because it has a lift, a winch, lights, off road tires, etc. and the vehicle doesn’t run. I’ll see the same vehicles for months on Craigslist and the owners wonder why it won’t sell.

Flemming JacobsenFlemming Jacobsen
                            Participant

Here visual mods are not illegal per say, as long as they don’t contain features that makes the car even more dangerous to pedestrian etc. So all hood locks etc has to be covered up if it has to pass MOT. Performance upgrades in general is a much more iffy subject since some things may be upgraded slightly while other bits are completely illegal to change (or well actually its defined by how much money you want to give to the government…ish)

Keymaster

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against mods. I just don’t like it when a car rolls in with a bunch of ebay bolt on crap and I need to fix the mess the owner made. I too have had to do warranty work on these crap buckets because the service writer was too much of a wimp to put his foot down. THAT was the main thing I was speaking to in the video. But on rare occasion I see one that’s done right and it’s a thing of beauty. Just look at the Type R on the banner of the home page of this website. Jackson supercharger on a Type R. Well done and works like a dream. I was sad when the owner sold that car. Wish I would have had the $$, I would have kept it for myself.

I think it’s interesting that many off roaders have come forward talking about their modifications. To be honest that really wasn’t in my mind when I made the video. I was thinking more of the over the top ricers that I’ve seen way too many of. Personally, I’d put the off road modifications in a different category. I’m not saying they were all done right, because they’re not, but I feel those modifications serve a ‘practical’ purpose as opposed to vanity.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Loading…