Menu

Motorcycle Thread

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Discussion Motorcycle Thread

• Creator
    Topic
    davedave
    Participant

Just got me a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250: 🙂

I hope that my automotive knowledge and expertise will translate over to the motorcycle world. For example, changing tires might be a bit of a challenge. There are probably other maintenance factors that I will have to address that do not apply to the automotive world, such as chain lubrication.

One thing that I am considering adding is a headlight modulator for added safety:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko0-k8twgH0

Q: can anyone recommend a good modulator at a good price?

Also, I am going to routinely use a helmet camera, mainly to make cool videos, but also to be used in any cases where collision liability will need to be established:

http://www.chinavasion.com/china/wholesale/Digital_Cameras-Camcorders/Sports_Action_Camcorders/Cyclops-Extreme_Sports_Action_Video_Camera

Q: One question that I get asked a lot is, “How’s come motorcycles can redline at 19k RPM and car engines redline at 6k RPM?” I often reply that is has something to do with roller bearings used on pushrods as opposed to auto engines which usually use no lifters. Is this true, mostly true, partially true, or are there other significant factors that determine redline performance for these engines?

Q: What brand of oil and at what interval do ye’ change your motorcycle oil..? I’ve heard some people say they like to use royal purple for their motorcycles. What do ye’ think?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      davedave
      Participant

Here is my first motorcycle vid. B)

Steffen NyegaardSteffen Nyegaard
        Participant

Nice 250 :).
          Small bikes are so much fun. It is my daily wish that manufacturers would revive the 4 cyl <500cc sport bikes again.

myron dilleymyron dilley
          Participant

hey nice bike,it will rev that high because it has overhead cams and is set up to rev high,just use 10w40 bike oil and you will be good. :blink:

Participant

[quote=”Wrench Turner” post=54632]Just got me a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250: 🙂

Q: can anyone recommend a good modulator at a good price?

Q: One question that I get asked a lot is, “How’s come motorcycles can redline at 19k RPM and car engines redline at 6k RPM?” I often reply that is has something to do with roller bearings used on pushrods as opposed to auto engines which usually use no lifters. Is this true, mostly true, partially true, or are there other significant factors that determine redline performance for these engines?

Q: What brand of oil and at what interval do ye’ change your motorcycle oil..? I’ve heard some people say they like to use royal purple for their motorcycles. What do ye’ think?[/quote]

A:
              I don’t use modulators, just set my lights a bit high and run them all day every day. High beams in fog in the daytime. They are a good idea though. Buy some powerful LED position lights too. Let me know if you need help finding some good ones.

A:
              Not my expertise, but I think it is a combination of many things. I believe many MC engines have short strokes so the piston does not move as far as in cars. They also use very high quality parts compared to car engines making them stronger and lighter (titanium valve springs, forged internals etc.). You can get everything very close to the maximum theoretical piston speed by making everything very light, thereby reducing inertia, but it will cost you torque as evident by most race engines.

A:
              I would not use redline oil for my motorcycle. In their commercials (spike TV etc) they show how using redline will give you more HP. That can only happen by reducing friction. As a motorcycle clutch is wet you depend on friction and using the wrong oil will toast you clutch in a few miles and can’t be fixed unless you flush everything and buy new clutch plates.
              Look in your owners manual for the correct viscosity AND approvals. If it is very lax, call kawasaki and ask what specification the oil should meet (JASO-MA2 etc). Oil is more than viscosity and API and ILSAC classifications are not strict enough for European and Japanese engines.

Participant

P.s.
                I would put one of these on http://www.kahtec.com/index.htm

And change the brake light to a high power LED bulb (it is 1157 according to the web).

Having seen how Americans drive in those houses on wheels (Tahoes etc.) combined with the legal right turn rule, I would make myself as visible as possible.

BruceBruce
                Participant

I used flashing lights when I rode motorcycles. One on the headlight and one for the brake light. Headlight would flash all the time unless it was dark, brake light would flash a few times then stay on steady. Anything to help get noticed by people in cars.

My last bike was a Suzuki SV650, its been 4 or 5 years since I rode. Been thinking about getting another.

Also, good for you for starting out small.

davedave
                  Participant

Bad news.. had to downgrade from the ninja due to the state of the economy:

davedave
                    Participant

Indiana corn fields.

[video]http://youtu.be/gejOY73IZv0[/video]

Dave OlsonDave
                      Participant

All this talk of bikes really makes me want to get mine back on the road, I need to re-lace the front wheel/set the rear brake/get a rebuild kit for the forks.

davedave
                        Participant

get a rebuild kit for the forks.

did you have to lay the bike down..?

Dave OlsonDave
                          Participant

No, It is a 76′ Kawasaki KZ 400 D3 and one of the front forks leak oil when the temp is over 80 but not when it is cooler. The funny thing is when I go to the parts stores they turn away from the computer and dig through the books when I tell them the year. It runs great and gets 75 MPG.

davedave
                            Participant

It runs great and gets 75 MPG.

I love this about bikes… they pay for themselves. Filled up last week, 3 gallons for $10. B)

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            Loading…