Menu

Mr.discouraged

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Technicians Only Mr.discouraged

• Creator
    Topic
    Tommy ETommy E
    Participant

I feel so discouraged I am giving all that I feel like I can, but I still feel as though it is not good enough. Trying to find work and they always say your resume looks good I’ll give you a call or I’ll have to talk to the boss but nothing never comes of it. I have called them with a follow up but they keep saying they have not decide yet.I went to UTI took auto and diesel and the ford fact program have 1 ASE have work a 🙁 little in the field I know I need exp but how Am i gonna get exp if I don’t get hired. I just don’t know what to do I try and try and go online I go door to door and it all seems like its for nothing. Sometimes I just feel like giving up. I would if I didn’t have a wife and my mother to take care of.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      jeep72jeep72
      Participant

Yeah Nova72 I know how you feel I am in the same boat. I wish I knew the answer to your question too.

Ed CurryEd Curry
        Participant

gotta just keep handin out them resumes. and don’t apply for something you’re not qualified for. prlly gona have to take a low paying lube tech job at a dealer or a small shop.

Mike MillerMike Miller
          Participant

Man we all have been there . You’re going to get hired eventually keep trying and don’t give up . Also make sure you look interested in the the job not desperate for the job when you interview.

kevinkevin
            Participant

even i am looking out there…in my town..most of dealers i already moved around enough that everybody don’t want me..

i had to go out about 150km from my town…just to even get noticed my resume…and convince someone..

when you have 70 no from people…there will be someone who will …ok .why not…

all of us looking for job: keep at it..it will come..
              when you go interview: stay positive…

Jerry JonesJerry Jones
              Participant

where are you guys/ from I am always looking for good techs?

kevinkevin
                Participant

in CANADA, i think north of dakota..

busted bolt: what kind of shop do you have ?
                  and how did u get started with your own shop?

i had been in automotive for about 13 years and been doing mechanics about 10 years…always learning something new everyday i guess… i been wanting to open my own but, not much shops on sale in my area.

good luck.

Jerry JonesJerry Jones
                  Participant

kevk62 I have a 2 sided auto shop. On the one side we do regular maintenance and repairs on all makes and models of cars, trucks, and suv’s . On the other side we do custom restorations on Classic cars and trucks. The truck in the picture under my screen name is mine and one of my restorations. I will add so pictures of a couple others also. Now to your next question. About 12 years ago the Chevy dealer I was working for told me if I thought I knew more than he did then I should have my own shop.
                    So after thinking about it for a couple days I found a small one bay garage for rent. It didn’t take me long to find out I didn’t know near as much about business as I thought I did. I had no idea how much Insurances and different expenses were going to be. I didn’t have a good enough grasp on how accounts payable and receivable should really work not to mention taxes and all the different business licenses needed… Oh and that I needed to be Bonded. Well anyway long story short there were a ton of people that helped me. Many of the customers from the Chevy dealership trusted me and my work and spread the word that I was the guy to see and we just grew from there . Well I could go on and on and tell the whole lone drawn out story but I don’t want to bore you more then I already have. But I will say this ….If you want to start your own shop do your research and don’t buy a building and be locked down .. find something you can rent or lease . Well I hope my rambling gave you some insight. Best of luck to you .

BobbyBobby
                    Participant

I’ve been there man. Sometimes it’s worth it to apply to your local jiffy lube or valvoline just to keep the money flowing in. Around here their “lead techs” and i use that term very lightly can get upwards of 12$ an hour.It might not be what you are looking for but it does get you a lot of basic skills on all different types of cars and it will keep the money flowing in.

kevinkevin
                      Participant

[quote=”bustedbolts” post=89191]kevk62 I have a 2 sided auto shop. On the one side we do regular maintenance and repairs on all makes and models of cars, trucks, and suv’s . On the other side we do custom restorations on Classic cars and trucks. The truck in the picture under my screen name is mine and one of my restorations. I will add so pictures of a couple others also. Now to your next question. About 12 years ago the Chevy dealer I was working for told me if I thought I knew more than he did then I should have my own shop.
                        So after thinking about it for a couple days I found a small one bay garage for rent. It didn’t take me long to find out I didn’t know near as much about business as I thought I did. I had no idea how much Insurances and different expenses were going to be. I didn’t have a good enough grasp on how accounts payable and receivable should really work not to mention taxes and all the different business licenses needed… Oh and that I needed to be Bonded. Well anyway long story short there were a ton of people that helped me. Many of the customers from the Chevy dealership trusted me and my work and spread the word that I was the guy to see and we just grew from there . Well I could go on and on and tell the whole lone drawn out story but I don’t want to bore you more then I already have. But I will say this ….If you want to start your own shop do your research and don’t buy a building and be locked down .. find something you can rent or lease . Well I hope my rambling gave you some insight. Best of luck to you .[/quote]

thanks for your insight…i got hired on at local gm dealer…only beef i have..gm training program kicking me out on all computers…seems like only at work it’s working.

tons of learning and growing to do.fun fun fun.

one day, i can try to get my own…even bodyshop sounds like a good plan in future…i just go learn new product line and new people.

ChevypowerChevypower
                        Participant

[quote=”bustedbolts” post=89191]kevk62 I have a 2 sided auto shop. On the one side we do regular maintenance and repairs on all makes and models of cars, trucks, and suv’s . On the other side we do custom restorations on Classic cars and trucks. The truck in the picture under my screen name is mine and one of my restorations. I will add so pictures of a couple others also. Now to your next question. About 12 years ago the Chevy dealer I was working for told me if I thought I knew more than he did then I should have my own shop.
                          So after thinking about it for a couple days I found a small one bay garage for rent. It didn’t take me long to find out I didn’t know near as much about business as I thought I did. I had no idea how much Insurances and different expenses were going to be. I didn’t have a good enough grasp on how accounts payable and receivable should really work not to mention taxes and all the different business licenses needed… Oh and that I needed to be Bonded. Well anyway long story short there were a ton of people that helped me. Many of the customers from the Chevy dealership trusted me and my work and spread the word that I was the guy to see and we just grew from there . Well I could go on and on and tell the whole lone drawn out story but I don’t want to bore you more then I already have. But I will say this ….If you want to start your own shop do your research and don’t buy a building and be locked down .. find something you can rent or lease . Well I hope my rambling gave you some insight. Best of luck to you .[/quote]

Dude, that Deuce Coupe is BITCHIN!

MikeMike
                          Participant

We’ve all been there. When I was finishing up diesel trade school I could not find a job. I took my final quarter off work and just concentrated on school. I was out of work for about a month till I did get hired on at Sunbelt Rentals. At Sunbelt I started at the bottom of the ladder, but worked my way up. While I was in school I worked at a tire shop after school, and on the weekends I picked up a few hours at a local parts store and Wednesday – Saturday I worked the graveyard shift at a TA truck stop. It’s tough building up the experience that companies want when your first starting out.

The economy does not help the new guys and gals coming out either. More and more companies are looking to do more and earn more now with fewer people, because the easy money isn’t there anymore. Just stick to it. Take a couple part time jobs to start out with. Work at each for about 6 months and then ask if you can be brought on full time. Make sure they know your part timing at another shop and that you are not competing against the others business.

Shops like to hire right at the beginning of summer or towards the end. If you can get on part time somewhere work their and mid way through the summer ask to be moved to full time.

jeep72jeep72
                            Participant

Am still on the hunt. I taught I was gonna get hired by Firestone. First they said I was hired on Sat. than Monday they said corp. hired someone else. So am back on the hunt. I am in Chicago you think I would found something by now. 🙁

kevinkevin
                              Participant

what kind of working you looking? auto side or heavy ?

fleet side job is usually better long run…hard to get in but…

don’t worry..i’d been there with employers not straightforward…better off…for you…
                                people who are down to earth and earnest about what they say is better off in long run..

i think CAT rental or CAT dealer are good company to go to…
                                in US, i think dealership is not as good..

ChevypowerChevypower
                                Participant

[quote=”jeep72″ post=90934]Am still on the hunt. I taught I was gonna get hired by Firestone. First they said I was hired on Sat. than Monday they said corp. hired someone else. So am back on the hunt. I am in Chicago you think I would found something by now. :([/quote]

Firestone did the same shit to me.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…