Menu

Must Have Tools For Starter Tech

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Must Have Tools For Starter Tech

• Creator
    Topic
    whatdaPHOwhatdaPHO
    Participant

Like the title says what tools should a tech just starting out buy. I’m a student at UTI yes UTI and I get snap-on tools for almost 50%off.
      I heard that I should buy snap-on hands tool cause it will be use everyday. But what kind of hands tools should I buy? Thanks Guys

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      MattMatt
      Participant

I would start with a 3/8″ drive metric ratchet set, a good set of metric wrenches, a pocket screwdriver, a GOOD DVOM. Then move up and down to 1/4″ drive and 1/2″ drive ratchets and sockets. Screwdrivers, punches, hammers… Don’t embarrass yerself and buy a carpenter’s hammer, get a ball peen hammer and a dead blow 🙂 Depends really on how much scratch you have to spend. You can add as you go of course. Extensions and univerals for your 3/8″ at least, as it will be your most commonly used ratchet/socket combo. Uh… Pry bars are always super handy. After that, it really depends. When I was in school, I was given a list of what tools were a MUST HAVE, so maybe ask one of your instructors. Impact wrenches, air rachet, FLASH LIGHT, etc… this list could go on for days. But those are my recommended basics. Feel free to add all. Also, if you start workin on older vehicles, you should be able to get standard sockets and wrenches for cheap on craigslist or whatnot. Side note, when I was in the automotive program at the school I’m about to finish, Snap-on, Mac, Matco, and Cornwell were ALL offering deals to students. The only big preference I have is Snap-on ratchets vs. the others. That’s just me. I’m not sure how it is at UTI, but shop around a bit. I have a bit of everything, and aside from the ratchets, I’m totally happy with all the tools I purchased from all these guys, and they make my Craftsman stuff look sad by comparison. If you can afford the best, then go for it. Once again, just my opinion.

3SheetsDiesel3SheetsDiesel
        Participant

If you’re just starting out, go to Sears and get yourself one of those 100+ piece mechanics tool kits. They have most of the basic stuff you’ll need to get started, and they’re affordable enough that if you decide that you don’t want to turn a wrench for a living, you won’t be stuck with a tool bill the size of a new car. I’ve seen it before, where someone goes onto the tool trucks when they’re just starting to turn a wrench, and run up a bill with the tool dealer that in the thousands of dollars, or even into the tens of thousands if they buy a toolbox at the same time. Six months later, after the novelty of fixing things wears off, they decide that they don’t want to fix cars anymore, but they’re stuck with a bill for thousands of dollars worth of tools that they don’t want anymore.

I’ve been doing this professionally for a decade now, and I still use my Craftsman tools. Granted, I’ve replaced a lot of them with Matco, but the Craftsman stuff I’ve got still sees regular use. My main toolbox is a Craftsman box, the top box and the side locker are both Snap-On, but they were hand-me-downs from my father when he got a larger toolbox, and my tool cart is Matco, which I bought used from a former co-worker of mine for less than a comparable Craftsman cart would have cost.

ElfyElfy
          Participant

I just bought one of those basic mechanic tools at sears lol, and from that ive been buying tools with the money i make. you should get that snap on credit, I never got a chance to get it but it sounds badass

redfuryredfury
            Participant

I had to restart my tools due to theft. I had craftsman and ended up buying a set from Home Depot ( Husky brand ). Can’t say that I have been disappointed with them, that’s for sure.

As far as actual tools that you are going to want to have, there’s the odd ball ones that make a lot of sense. In particular, tool retrieval tools, whether it be magnetic or a telescoping mechanical claw. Don’t forget mirrors with telescoping handles and swivel ends to see where you dropped the tools, and to see where you can’t get an eyeball otherwise to diagnose a problem ( like a leaking water pump )

I really like having my magnetic tray also, it prevents me from whacking a bucket full of bolts and spilling them everywhere.

Another tool that I have really become fond of is the dogbone wrench. It’s sooo nice when you are doing oil changes! You’ll always have the right size socket to get the drain plug off! Every quick lube place should have one IMHO.

Buy specialty tools when you start finding yourself working on a particular type of car often. You may find that where you work, you run into a ton of one particular brand of vehicle over others and having the specialty tools for that brand make some sense. Everyone would love to own their own MAC/MATCO/SNAPON tool truck, but it’s just not feasible. You just have to make smart purchases. Pay good money for tools you will use often, find the cheaper alternative when you find something that you will only use in a blue moon.

ark_454SSark_454SS
              Participant

6 point and 12 point sockets are a must. Torx bits and for sockets. Allen sockets too. I also like the flex cable extensions that you can put a socket wrench on and get into some tight spots. The swivel sockets are decent. I like the socket wrenches were you can take the ring out of the front and clean em out (Matco, my craftsman has em). Got to have some Gearwrenches, they are a muusst. I’ve also seen the gearwrenches with the switch to go back and forth instead of having to flip the wrench over. Can’t have to many small screwdrivers, picks, chizels, ya kno.

Thrasher

freefalconfreefalcon
                Participant

I can’t really ad much to what these guys have said but I’ve been doing this for over thirty years and trust me, you never, ever, will complete your tool collection. New car models come out, new designs, new tools and gadgets are needed. When I first got out of the military and started doing this in the civilian sector I went down to Sears got a credit card, bought a box a good starter set of automotive tools and went to work the next day at my first job. I had a hand carry box with some tools but I bought a small roll away and expanded my collection I already had. Little did I know the company I was going to work for got a discount with Snap-on. But whatever you do always buy the best you can afford. I replaced most of my Sears stuff eventually with Snap-On, Matco, Mac etc. But on occasion I’ll still use Sears if they have some in particular I can use or need because they’re cheaper in price. Probably one of the things I hated about buying off the tool trucks is on the rare occasion something breaks your left waiting till the tool man shows up and then if he doesn’t have a replacement your left waiting till he gets one for you. But anyhow, you’ll be buying tools forever, not as much later on as you will at first, but it never will end completely. Good luck to you.

dreamer2355dreamer2355
                  Participant

Also do forget about your basic diagnostic tools such as ignition spark testers, a decent vaccum gauge, compression gauge and a fuel pressure tester too.

619DioFan619DioFan
                    Participant

Just starting out I can guarantee you will be doing lots of lof’s and tire rotations/balances/replacements , that said I would definantley invest in a good impact gun ( IR makes awesome guns and I have read great things about the aircat line ) then you will need some good flip type impact sockets for the lugs ( I would also get a set of the type with the nylon protectors- nothing worse then scratching up a customers expensive wheels ) make sure you pick up a set of the thin wall lug sockets as some of your foreign cars just won’t let a standard thickness impact socket fit into the wheel hole. next make sure you have a good selection of filter removal tools ( plier type , cap type and one of the ratcheting type ) a dogbone style drain plug wrench is very helpful.

dseries16dseries16
                      Participant

The 50% discount you get with snap-on is only on hand tools which is ok I guess but a lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty weather it is craftsman, snap-on, kobalt, or whatever. Feel is a big part of buying tools and you get a better feel out of the more expensive brands, but IMHO you would be best off doin what 3sheets said.

As your tools wear out, get lost, stolen. break then replace with same ore start upgrading to a nicer set then.

You will never ever ever have all the tools you need to do every job on a car there is to do I don’t think it is possible lol, you will always be buying or making tools as long as you are working on cars.

slipknot1488slipknot1488
                        Participant

Whatever you buy or already bought should definitely have a lifetime warranty. That’s the biggest thing for me. Any tool you buy has the chance of being abused and broken so make sure you can have it replaced for free or atleast re-built, especially if it’s something you’ll use everyday. I’m sure other’s have said the same thing but it’s really important. The company can afford to give you a new tool but you might not always be able to afford buying a new one.

Sang Kimskim3544
                          Participant

Quoted From whatdaPHO:

Like the title says what tools should a tech just starting out buy. I’m a student at UTI yes UTI and I get snap-on tools for almost 50%off.
                            I heard that I should buy snap-on hands tool cause it will be use everyday. But what kind of hands tools should I buy? Thanks Guys

I would go with Craftsman 6pt and 12 pt deep and short socket set to start with. I really don’t see a need for Snap-on tools at this time – you want to make sure that this is career that you would like to be in before investing that kind of money.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          Loading…