Menu
  • Home
  • Topic
  • My bike runs way better with a pod and no rejet

My bike runs way better with a pod and no rejet

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here My bike runs way better with a pod and no rejet

• Creator
    Topic
    IanIan
    Participant

Ok so i know this isn’t particularly car related but the motorcycle forum lounge hasn’t had any posts in over a month so im talking about it hereXD

I have myself a little GT185 that i’ve been riding for over a year…it always lacked power…

so i finally determined that it was running rich sense my choke killed the bike….cold or hot it killed it every time…even at half choke or quarter

so i whipped the carbs out today and cleaned them up…checked the float level and it was a few mm high on both carbs and i was like “oh shit this is totally the cause of my rich problem” but then i got to thinking about it…and to make the adjustments i had to bend the prongs up a bit, and this would logically have meant that my floats were cutting off fuel early, giving it a lower level and ultimately a LEANER condition… so my carbs were contradictory to my first hypothesis… regardless of that i bent them both to standard spec anyway. cleaned both carbs thoroughly, put em back together nice. set needles, pilot airs and idle screws all to standard settings in the manual.

and just for the hell of it, i figured id throw a pod i had laying around on it before i put the stock airbox on…logically if it had been running a super rich condition this whole time (so rich that my leaned out float level didnt really change it). I have two pods…but i wanted to restrict atleast airflow a bit and have some sort of post pod channel to reduce turbulence… so I just snugged one pod into the upper boot hole for the airbox linkage…essentially removing just half of the airbox assembly from the intake system.

as a result, the choke finally works, and it does exactly what it should. bike gets warmed up and idles like a beauty. took her out for a spin and she rode LIKE TOTALLY AWESOMELY. its like riding a whole new bike i swear! it was so much freaking fun all the power it had!! not to mention it sounds BADASS with that pod on there.

I’m so satisfied with everything that i literally don’t wanna tweak or touch anything now. it feels too perfect. so…the performance is way beyond satisfactory… but my only concern is that if it’s still a little leaned out it’s gonna destroy my engine sooner or later…

I really have no way of knowing if it actually is running lean, and by how much, or the a/f gods just blessed me with a perfect balance on my bike with this setup. Do u guys think its safe to whip it around town for a while and just check the plugs for a few weeks? if i need to do any restricting of the air system…i actually found that a spray pain lid fits perfectly around the pod…i could just drill holes of varying sizes out till the plugs are good… i don’t think turbulence is an issue though because it seemed happy as a clam in all throttle ranges…

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      college mancollege man

Could you post some pics of what we would be looking at?

IanIan
        Participant

Yeah sorry about that. Here’s some pictures and a link to a video of it i took today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHWMC8lFDzA.

I whipped her around town today, still with that pod in and still with everything on the carbs on standard settings and she rocked. got her up to 60 and it felt like i could easily get to 75. No hesitation, no surging.

college mancollege man

If I read on the carbs right. One is a starting/ idle carb and one is a running carb.
            If your chocking air off you are making it rich. That would tell me with the stock air
            box on you were lean When you had the carbs apart did you check the jet numbers
            and needle numbers to see if they are indeed the right setup? someone could have been
            in there before you.You can pull the plug and see if you are lean or rich. There should be
            a air adjustment and fuel adjustment on those carbs. Another thing to check is the petcock
            on the bike may need to be removed to check for any rust in the screen. This will restrict fuel.

IanIan
            Participant

The petcock got replaced not too long ago. the video i posted is of the bike now. it wouldn’t run with the choke like that before. in the video its doing what i consider to be “proper” where it’s all warmed up and you can see me start it w/o choke, choke it and it runs at a little higher rpm, take off choke and it slides back down to normal idle… i consider that a properly working choke. and the choke circuit is through both carbs, there’s actually a hose line you need to run between the carbs specifically for that circuit. and yes everything is standard. main jet is a 72, needles are stock, set to 3 tabs down, pilots are stock as well. floats were at about 23.5 mm right / 22.25 mm left before i cleaned the carbs…they should be at 19.9 mm, i managed something around 19.5 for the right and 20 ish for the left, much closer to spec.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            Loading…