Menu

My car 2006 Suzuki aerio sedan

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge General Automotive Discussion My car 2006 Suzuki aerio sedan

• Creator
    Topic
    Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
    Participant

So getting into a disagreement with the wife but after 2 years I’m having to replace the brake pads and possible the rotors still have to check the rear brakes but she’s telling me that 2 years is too short of time for pads needing replaced. With how I drive and how she drives when she borrows it which a new noise always comes from my car when I get it back but anyway I say 2 years is a reasonably amount of time for brake pad replacement. Any back up comments for either side lol. I won’t bring your name up so you’re safe lol.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      A toyotakarlIts me

It depends… Two years in western Kansas and brake pads still may have 90% life left….. Two years in New York City or Washington DC may need changing…

It is how often you use the brakes, not years, nor miles… That is what brake inspections are for….

Some vehicles do burn through brakes faster than others… All about the engineering, sometimes they get some things not so right…

Also, what types of brake pads you get effects this… I have seen the El-Cheapo, wheel dust covering $19.99 a set brake pads be almost 80% gone in a year (with 10k miles)…. While Ceramics may last much, much longer and be much cleaner (but harder on the rotors) last for 5 or so years with 60k miles on them… Either way, both will be worn…

-Karl

Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
        Participant

Well Illinois is the number one state for stop signs so I can see that. I hit about 10 traffic signals everyday for work and that’s just for work. These pads are ceramic and firestone told my wife they were top of the line…I don’t know I was in another country so I couldn’t help lol. Thank you again Karl.

I will add this though the inner pad was worn down more than the outer pad. Don’t know if that means anything though.

A toyotakarlIts me

[quote=”Sparhawk28″ post=87245]Well Illinois is the number one state for stop signs so I can see that. I hit about 10 traffic signals everyday for work and that’s just for work. These pads are ceramic and firestone told my wife they were top of the line…I don’t know I was in another country so I couldn’t help lol. Thank you again Karl.

I will add this though the inner pad was worn down more than the outer pad. Don’t know if that means anything though.[/quote]

Concerning your inner pads being worn more.. The caliper pins should be checked for proper lubrication… Sounds like they are not sliding correctly… Check the pin boots and their condition and ensure the pins themselves are not dirty or corroded… Lubricate with silicone paste (Eric has a video on this)…

-Karl

Ryan PoteetRyan Poteet
            Participant

I watched the video and I didn’t know what type of lubricant he was using. I thought he said anti seize but silicone sounds better.

A toyotakarlIts me

[quote=”Sparhawk28″ post=87248]I watched the video and I didn’t know what type of lubricant he was using. I thought he said anti seize but silicone sounds better.[/quote]

Anti-sieze where the brake pad tabs slide…

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…