Menu

My First Impact Wrench

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk My First Impact Wrench

• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by MikeMike.
  • Creator
    Topic
    JustinJustin
    Participant

Well, I got my first EVER impact wrench.

This one (IR W7150) is a 1/2inch drive and powered by a 20v battery. It boasts 1100 ft/lbs. of “nut busting torque” (whatever that is)… Otherwise 780 ft/lbs all day long.

I put a 21mm Kobalt Deep 6-point socket (1/2 drive) on it and went to town doing a tire rotation.

This thing zipped off all lug nuts like they weren’t even on there. I would just put completely on the nut then hit full trigger (full-power)… each time it literally took less than the blink of an eye for it to switch from impacting to spinning them off at full, open speed.

Honestly, I did several wheels one handed, using my right hand to run this thing and left hand to grab the nut.

Two things I particularly like:
      1. It stops almost instantly with an automatic brake!
      2. It has a variable speed trigger.

When I put nuts on:
      “I lightly run them forward at very low speed and listen for a light click (or two)” At low speed the hammering is weak, so it don’t over-torque fasteners.

Then I pull out the torque wrench and can feel each lug nut actually move. Hence, no need for a torque stick if you use common sense.

Obviously, if you run full power forward and let it hammer away HARD, you are going to WAY over tighten things, warp rotors, etc.

Overall, I have nothing to compare it to (having never used an air impact), but supposedly this thing is on par with their top performing 1/2″ air impacts. Regardless, it seems extremely powerful.

I want to try it with a “bigger job” than lug nuts… because it doesn’t even put out any effort. It was so fast, the battery was still fully charged (4 lights) after doing a car.

Attachments:
    Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Rudy WilmothRudy Wilmoth
      Participant

🙂 That is a nice looking impact you got there. I like the use of battery or electrical impacts over the air compressor types. For a DIY type at home, the cost savings between owning a air compressor and the related accessories needed to use it versus the battery or electrical cord for the average user makes the choice easy.
        Your new tool should work on everything and a real test for the impact will be in removing a crankshaft bolt. If it can spin it off without any trouble, then you have a real heavy duty tool.

JulianJulian
        Participant

I am always suspicious of battery use for things that require a lot of umpf.

Many years ago I bought a craftsman compressor for $230 at sears. Don’t remember it’s size, but I remember it was even rated for spray painting. I’ve used it on anything from working on cars to working on my basement. Not a bad investment. Also, I ended up buying a twin hammer 1/2″ impact gun from Harbor Freight for $79 with 625 ft/lb when I was taking apart a CJ7. I was surprised how much power it actually had for a cheap tool.

Kevin GallichKevin Gallich
          Participant

Nice choice. I have the Snap On version of that tool. The thing is a beast. Congrats!

Michele PensottiMichele Pensotti
            Participant

Wow! You got the same I got some months ago! :cheer:

And your impressions so fare have been the same as mine; it’s overpowered! :woohoo:

I tried it with some axle nuts that it took out without even un-stoking them, and also a very very rusty exhaust bolt (in fact it almost hurt my other hand with which I was holding a wrench to keep the other side of the bolt from spinning! :blink: )

I’ve been using it for the past 4 months and now its battery has come down to two dots, but it still keeps doing its work flawlessly! 🙂

In my opinion this impact is awesome!

Live long and prosper (and stay dirty!)

10nico

Robert McMahangaseousmercury
              Participant

Glad to hear it was a successful purchase. I’ve been toying with the idea of buying one for sometime, but could never get what I considered an in depth review. Thanks for sharing. I might just go get one.

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
                Participant

I’ve had mine for a while now and for the most part my air impact has sat almost unused ever since.
                  The only negative things I can say about the W7150 are it’s heavier and bigger than the air powered unit, the fwd/rev control is in a bad spot for me – I seem to hit it by mistake a lot. On the plus side it puts most 1/2” air impacts to shame, you don’t have to wrestle and snake the air hose around, and the battery lasts a really long time. I did hear that Milwaukee is supposed to come out with one that’s comparable but will also have a brushless motor.

mauricemaurice
                  Participant

nice tool man! I want one but its to pricey for me right now. I bought the 1/2 18v dewalt and it works pretty well. but you can tell when it has a bit of a struggle.

JustinJustin
                    Participant

I will have to make a video of it and post it on Youtube for you all… It isn’t nearly as complicated as the video below.

I am tired of watching videos like this one:

This guy has NO idea how to operate a simple impact wrench. All you do is push/hold the trigger, but apparently, he hasn’t figured that out and does a bunch of short bursts… then goes back around to each lug nut hitting them twice… Crazy.

JMRJMR
                      Participant

I prefer Air tools for # of reasons.

Battery doesn’t last when you need it and when you store it for long periods of time. First issue you can avoid by getting a 2nd battery, but they are NOT cheap.

2nd issue is the big one. I use my air tools every 4-6 months IF that. That battery would be completely dead by then.

Air compressors are pretty cheap too…

JamieJamie
                        Participant

My first impact was an IR air gun, I still use it. They make some solid stuff. The guy I worked under basicly took me on the tool truck and put it in my hands and said “its worth being in debt for this” More or less I think he was tired of me borrowing his! haha.

I’ve been considering getting an electric just like you bought so I don’t always have to fire up the old compressor. Im interested to see how it holds up for you! Please report back after a while!

I have both the IR 2135TiMax and the W1750 and they are both brilliant guns that have never let me down very very good choice in choosing that gun it has saved my ass many times

daviddavid
                          Participant

How much did you pay for it? Curious what ball park pricing for these are at.
                            Looks like you got it at a pawn shop?
                            Which is where i would go shop for this as i am only DIY.
                            Thanks,

Gareth RandallGareth Randall
                            Participant

I’ve had the W7150 for a couple of years now. I love it 🙂

I haven’t found a fastener it couldn’t break loose in a matter of seconds. Axle nuts, suspension bolts, lug nuts, it just zips them off without any fuss. And because I only use it for a few seconds on each job, one battery charge lasts months (literally).

If I had a garage, I’d probably look at an air compressor for all the other tools I could run off it – but since I have to work in the parking lot of my apartment building, the W7150 is a bit like magic 🙂

MikeMike
                              Participant

Nice impact, especially for a FIRST one!

I’m more of an air guy myself, but have had a couple of battery op ones as well. I will say I agree with Passaturbo about if you are a mechanic that doesn’t use it that often… batteries get expensive. A decent compressor isn’t that much anymore, plus you can run a plethora of tools off of it, especially if you maintain your air tools.

Back on topic though, I take my battery operated impact with me when I am on car trips because if I get a flat, i’d much rather zip em off than fight with a tire iron!!

I hope you have fun with your new toy! They really are a life saver!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Loading…