Menu

NA or Turbo

• Creator
    Topic
    PaulyzetecPaulyzetec
    Participant

what type of engine do you guys prefer. personal for me its NA you cant beat a highly tuned high reving NA. i think theres more of an art to tuning them aswell.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      cj1292cj1292
      Participant

I agree, Tuning is an art. I say if you can get what you want out of your engine without a turbo thats awesome. The problem with turbo’s is the spool time, you wont get instant boost.

JB16JB16
        Participant

NA all the way! Tuning wise, you cant beat a set of throttle bodies. Great sound!

EricTheCarGuy 1EricTheCarGuy
          Keymaster

I would say it depends on what you want out of the vehicle in the end, for me I build to suit, if I’m gonna be running at a sustained speed for prolonged periods I might go turbo but if I just want to drive around and go fast I could save some money and headache with N/A. Depends on the application.

wardak33wardak33
            Participant

I love n/a, but I’d love a turbo even more. Love the feeling of turbo lag, when the turbo spools up and you get pushed back into your seat.

KLFERKLFER
              Participant

I like forced induction turbo for me. Race = Big Single, Daily = Small Twins. I have a RX-7 with a PT-67 and its build to go fast, once you feel 20 psi you never want less. next car i will own is a 2003-04 Cobra I love the Supercharger whine.

RangestangRangestang
                Participant

Forced induction all the way! As far as power is concerned,FI is wayyy cheaper to make power with than N/A that’s why most race cars use some form of it.

KLFERKLFER
                  Participant

Quoted From Rangestang:

Forced induction all the way! As far as power is concerned,FI is wayyy cheaper to make power with than N/A that’s why most race cars use some form of it.

N/A will never make the power a forced induction engine will. Ss far as price goes turbo charging is the most cost effective way to make horse power and most efficient. If you want 1000 HP turbo charging is the way to go. I guarantee you will spend less money turbo charging that engine then you would building an N/A to get that much power.

For instance lets use 2 mustang cobras one is and 2001 the other is a 2003. The 2001 has 325 hp the 2003 has 390 hp. ok what we want to do is see what it cost to gain 100hp, keep in mind that the 01 is N/A and the 03 is supercharged. Now for the fun part! Take the 01 you will start out with longtube headers full exhaust and intake this will set you back about $1000 bucks and you will gain only 20-30hp so we got 70 hp more to go now you need a tune predator has the highest hp gain with 32 hp for about $400 38hp to go, bosch 044 fuel pump, 8 ID540 injectors with a FPR and re-tune it might get that 38 hp cost about $1000. total cost about $2400. 03 cobras turn. 2.8 in. pulley $150 40hp gain, intake $150 30 hp gain, exhaust catback
                    system $400 25 hp gain, predator tune $400 60hp gain. total cost $1100 and you made well over 100hp at half the cost.

RangestangRangestang
                    Participant

Isn’t that what I just said in fewer words? No trying to be a A hole or anything just wondering if what I posted didn’t make any sense and what you thought I was trying to say.

KLFERKLFER
                      Participant

Quoted From Rangestang:

Isn’t that what I just said in fewer words? No trying to be a A hole or anything just wondering if what I posted didn’t make any sense and what you thought I was trying to say.

I did read it wrong thought FI was FYI and yes i was a little confused! Now i wish i read it right so i didn’t have to type all that thats 5 minutes i will never get back lol. live and learn right haha.

RangestangRangestang
                        Participant

Quoted From KLFER:

I did read it wrong thought FI was FYI and yes i was a little confused! Now i wish i read it right so i didn’t have to type all that thats 5 minutes i will never get back lol. live and learn right haha.

I figured that’s what happened lol personally I’m a nitrous guy myself.

TuwakanTuwakan
                          Participant

Quoted From KLFER:

No worrys Klfer I read it and it helps me in one shape or form!

HurriSkiestHurriSkiest
                            Participant

Personal I like a turbo setup, I had a K20Z1 with a nice N/A setup on it (Intake, HIMG, RCB, 410cc injectors, upgraded valvetrain, stg2 cams, RH, 70mm exhaust) and it was fun. But I am working on a turbo build now and can

kiall1987kiall1987
                              Participant

What about setups with both turbo and superchargers with the charger taking up the low end uptill the turbo kicks in

HPHP
                                Participant

I got cars for different needs. As a daily car i have a Saab 9000, 2.3 Turbo , if i want to save some fuel i take my VW Polo 1.6 or at the end of the month when the cash is low 😛
                                  My BMW 750 iA is coming out on the weekends for slow and steady cruising.

In Sweden a gallon of fuel is USD 7.70 , so the V12 is not the first option if im going for a road trip 🙂

PaulyzetecPaulyzetec
                                  Participant

You guys are right tubros are cheaper and to tune and get more power out off. dont get me worng i still do love tubros but in my eyes theres more to go wrong. i remember my mate had a 350bhp nissan pulsar GTIr 4wd and that thing proper shifted. R

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…