Menu

NA or Turbo

• Creator
    Topic
    PaulyzetecPaulyzetec
    Participant

what type of engine do you guys prefer. personal for me its NA you cant beat a highly tuned high reving NA. i think theres more of an art to tuning them aswell.

Viewing 14 replies - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      TasogareTasogare
      Participant

I’ve seen way too many people blow their engines apart with a turbo than anything else. XD Turbos are good for track use or extending power to a low-displacement engine – but nothing beats the sound of a good N/A intake, some headers and a good exhaust. It’s pure heaven. Keep it in tune and you’re sitting pretty.

MattMatt
        Participant

http://www.youtube.com/user/groutaone#p … APK5iVk7Ns
          This is a youtube guy that does hard core drag racing. He runs an N/A 598 (i think) Chevy with a nitrous system. I wouldn’t recommend this site normally, but I’ve seen that Eric is subcribed to this channel. He gets into all sorts of things, from carburetors to nitrous to dirtbikes, etc. It’s a cool channel for the beyond the normal cars and trucks. It’s a fun break from the usually wheel bearings and what not, and this video in particular will be news to alot of you younger guys that don’t know what a carb is 🙂 Holley is just a hair over my favorites, the old rochester quadrajet, that most guys hate.

RangestangRangestang
          Participant

Quoted From Tasogare:

I’ve seen way too many people blow their engines apart with a turbo than anything else. XD Turbos are good for track use or extending power to a low-displacement engine – but nothing beats the sound of a good N/A intake, some headers and a good exhaust. It’s pure heaven. Keep it in tune and you’re sitting pretty.

Then they probably didn’t tune it right its all in the tune or they just got greedy with the boost.

timaralitimarali
            Participant

imo turbos are suppose to be put on when you’re done with the fully tuning of the engine. because 1st of all you will be running the car effectiently and make power then with the turbo youll be making a lot more power.

Third GearThird Gear
              Participant

Well, it depends. NA is fun because having a car with a high duration cam, heads, and exhaust sounds awesome with a choppy idle and once it gets going. Although sometimes the low end characteristics suffer. Also many times NA mods don’t require forged internals like boosted cars.

forced induction always makes more power, but with that power comes a price. Most stock NA engines can handle some amount of boost, but there is always a risk. To do forced induction right you need to have forged internals. People that blow up their engines either push too much boost on a stock engine, or they don’t tune it properly so too much timing or lean fuel mixtures causes things to get too hot and blow up.

Turbo is way to go for smaller engines. Larger engines can go whichever way – turbo, or supercharger. I’m a big fan of GM’s LS engines, I’ve had both turbo and supercharged versions, both are way too much fun. The whine of positive displacement blower sounds awesome. A problem with the blower though is the instant boost makes traction an issue (Cobra guys are familiar with this as well). Although the turbo kind of does the same once it spools. Oh, well.

So, it just depends on what you want the car to do and how much cash you have.

SpawnedXSpawnedX
                Participant

If you don’t have the displacement to back your car up, you need forced induction. I still am a believer in no replacement with displacement, but as of recently, it seems that the technology employed by the car manufacturers in smaller displacement engines with turbo or twin turbocharger applications are catching up rapidly. I guess there is a point where the displacement line and the efficiency of technology line cross on that bar chart.

dseries16dseries16
                  Participant

I have read this argument all over the internet and there is no better way!!!!! They are both equal in their own way!!!

^^^MY OPINION DONT THRASH IT LOL^^^

But seriously it all boils down to what you (the Builder) are wanting to spend and what your end power goals are. if you are on a budget to make High hp for the same 2k you spend on a NA build you could possbly have 50% more power if not more by going turbo or even Nitrous (if done properly and all research has been done). Then you have to factor in what type of driving conditions you are going to be doing. hill climbs do not like turbos as well as NA or a Supercharger but turbos work awesome on the strip and even road courses.

another factor in the NA vs turbo game is availability of parts and R&D of the performance of the engine you will be working on.
                    for example
                    My d series honda engine can use just about any d series piston to increase or decrease the Comp ratio. Using OEM parts is a good way to make your build less expensive (as long as you know its limits). with a High comp all out build (13-14:1) I could expect 150-180+ HP (pretty dainty for a single cam 1.6l 4cyl)

But for the same price you could build for turbo using vitara pistons and shoot for 25psi and get a gain over 50% of what you made NA but at the cost of turbo lag.

My point is ERIC said it best build the car to suit the type of driving you will be doing lol

SVTDiceSVTDice
                    Participant

Okay so, My question is and I don’t want to offend anybody here by why so close minded about what you want to do? There is options.

-Superchargers
                      -Prochargers
                      -Compound boost (Supercharger AND Turbo’s)

But anyways, I’ll keep following this. I don’t want to step on anybody’s toes too much.

SpawnedXSpawnedX
                      Participant

I wouldn’t call me close-minded. I came turbo from factory, my block is designed and engineered for turbo and so is all my electronics. Why bother going a different route? However, I am fabbing up a compound turbo build (turbo feeding turbo) to play with.

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                        Participant

If you have little 4cyl engines then i go with turbo all day but, if you have a big v6 or v8 I like N/A better.
                          Guess it just depends.

ChevypowerChevypower
                          Participant

I have to say that a good engine builder can make all kinds of power with forced induction. When a good engine builder knows what he is doing, and gets bukoo power out of an N/A engine, THEN he has something to say. Forced induction systems do all of the work for you. It takes knowledge and experience to make power in a N/A set up. I have never done it, but I hold more respect for a guy that can do that, than a guy who does it the easy way.

Oh, and it takes power to make power. Super charge it! Screw turbos with their lag. A blower will match boost directly to throttle response with no lag.

Either way, “Boost gets you laid.”

SpawnedXSpawnedX
                            Participant

Quoted From Chevypower:

I have to say that a good engine builder can make all kinds of power with forced induction. When a good engine builder knows what he is doing, and gets bukoo power out of an N/A engine, THEN he has something to say. Forced induction systems do all of the work for you. It takes knowledge and experience to make power in a N/A set up. I have never done it, but I hold more respect for a guy that can do that, than a guy who does it the easy way.

Oh, and it takes power to make power. Super charge it! Screw turbos with their lag. A blower will match boost directly to throttle response with no lag.

Either way, “Boost gets you laid.”

Come on man, you sound so uninformed and ignorant right now. If you think a turbocharge application is “easy” and simple to do, then do it, there is more math and supporting modifications needed to get a boosted application properly running. To top it all off, you now have added more potential issue points when diagnosing a condition. Both an N/A and a turbo require tuning, but go give a turbocharged car a whirl at tuning, you will be lost in a world of variables. If anything an N/A build is simpler.

As far as supercharge vs. turbocharge. Not going to go into too much detail, but each has it’s benefits and each has it’s downfall. Turbo lag isn’t always a bad thing.

Boostaholic315Boostaholic315
                              Participant

Im a turbo man all the way. I have built countless engines import and domestic and so many small block fords it would make your head spin. The beauty of a well tuned turbo engine is the ability to have very mild off boost driveability and when you put the hammer down its on.The lag concerns arise when you have small displacement ,mismateched components, or a incredibly big turbo lol. for streetability you have to empasize where you want power curve. Putting the power towards the top of the rpm band work in a race application where you are always high in the rpm range, im not saying that cant be streetable ive been in many fast hondas and even 9 sec mustangs that could be street driven, but its all about the whole package. From the gears to the trans to what operating range the engine was built for. I will say it is much harder to make power na without huge displacement numbers and sky high comp ratios. The thing with na is many more flow characteristics have to be evaluated because your not force feeding air down its throat. Also there is no parasitic power loss with a turbo system, the turbo i powered by heat and wasted exhaust gas vs. being attached to a pulley off the crank. N/A has its simplicity in the less is more kinda of thing. I also agree in the supporting mods aspect with spawned. Its all relative depending on budget and power goals, and how often do you want to turn a wrench. The other benefit i see in turbo setups is that turbos build boost under load and are not dependent on rpm like a supercharger is. Both well built engines will require tuning and depending on purpose and power it can be anywhere from minor to extensive but its a necessity to get every bit of power out of a given combo. Sorry for the long rant lol

CAdc2CAdc2
                                Participant

All i’ve ever driven as been NA. Its fun and can give you a nice kick. But just a little while ago I took a ride in my friend’s SRT-4….and OMG…I am obsessed with boost now. My next car has 0 chance or being NA now lol.

Viewing 14 replies - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Loading…