Menu

nedz cheap 00 BAXA/Mopar wisdom

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Service and Repair Questions Answered Here nedz cheap 00 BAXA/Mopar wisdom

• Creator
    Topic

If anybody has any 4cyl BAXA auto transmission or equivalent unit installed in 98-01 Honda Accord 4cyl body-style that’s in any operating condition, even non serviceable, but mostly intact, and might consider a meager monetary gain (compared to retail) or a trade of some form( other models parts or if close enough to travel to, I can work for it. I bought a 2000 Honda Accord with a 4cyl. that the transmission exploded before putting 80 miles on it. I now have 2 cars cursed to never be driven, (I almost believe it myself). I have a 1976 Plymouth Fury Salon 318 2 bbl carter carb, that will morph into a Holley dbl-pumper, If I can get it to run more than a day. I had replaced all engine and cabin electronics, reworked the drivetrain from the clogged oil and trans coolers to the tail-lights replacing all wear items 5 yrs ago, but after i got it fully functional and running like stock, he parked it to slowly became a reminder of lost joy, until ~ 3 months ago. After 5 hour drives each way to try to beat the eBay vultures to a BAXA, only to fail every time, I took ownership(partly in desperation but mostly to get something out of him trading my 440CID HP Interceptor 6pk, 2 speed Power glide trans, and a Dana 60 rear-end(comprising the power train for my 68 Superbee) for a car being sold for $950 equivalent value of a 440 head. I got back from deployment went around my 68, found empty shipping crates, empty 68 engine cradle, and a 1976 fury salon 4 door, with a comically underpowered OEM 318 CID, SMALL BLOCK with a 2bbl carb to finish the vicious destruction of any remaining tatters of happiness while staring down at the baby engine before me when the realization of and his confirmation of what he had done 6 months before. Left me without hope for a fully defunct 68 dodge and 76 no-start paperweight. I have replaced the ignition system, brakes, all the fluids and all hoses, belts, lines, and even steel fuel lines, removed and coated the fuel tank, then pulled & rebuilt the 2 barrel Carter getting 1/8-cup of rusty dirt from float compartment, that looked exactly like cinnamon, but I now question if it was cinnamon added to the tank( happen before). All of that and all it will do is idle, it’s a smooth even idle and can rev when parked, but if moving it completely chokes out after 10 min. or at 25ish MPH whichever happens first. I am out of ideas and wonder if the carb is worn beyond op specs, or if maybe kids are spiking tanks again but neither is likely. any ideas for my issues would be appreciated greatly, even a elementary idea, I am a human with brain damage, so may forget a seemingly obvious thing.

Carter 2 barrel pic

Wednesday, September 21, 2016
    4:02 AM

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    college mancollege man

The dust/cinnamon could be old fuel or dirt from the lines or tank
      before you got it. Usually thats from a vehicle that sat. I would rebuild
      the carb and clean every passage.

Thank you for the reply, and figuring that a return to step 1 and meticulously re-diagnosis without depending on any previous findings was the only path left to follow. So to start my day off, I did without finding anything at all to cause fuel starvation, even fuel sampled from the tank. so had to walk away. Later while I was looking for any type of test I am ignorant of, to tryout, I thought of my pumps flex lines always curl-up at the ends. I decided to take a new sample after I wired a 1/2″ drive 15mm socket over the pump intake hose end to sink it looking for debris. I was shocked to find the pump unable to pull up fuel. I looked at what was in the line finding a thick fuel jelly. After dropping the tank again, I found it still clean and it looked like the rust coating was intact just a little over a inch thick layer of that fuel jelly covering the bottom. I can not think of what it is, why it is, nor how it would get there in under 20 days of rest. so guess that technically I solved the issue, only now left without a reason for it being there, and no clue how to find one. I am wondering is something dropped in the tank by somebody is able to cause a separate fuel gel layer to form?

MikeMike
      Participant

Old gas will break down and separate. One of the deposits it can leave behind is a vaseline-like goo.

James P GrossoJames P Grosso
        Participant

sounds like a fuel supply issue. Could be partly/rusted fuel lines or even a small crack or pinhole allowing air to get sucked into the fuel line. Maybe a clogged fuel pickup in the tank?
          Had that issue with a bad/cracked rubber line connection the tank pickup.
          Easy way to test is just disconnect and plug original fuel line, then rig up a temporary fuel supply to the carb (Gravity fed, or electric pump from a gas can?)
          If that works (you might want to just jump to this step) run a rubber fuel line from the gas can into the stock pump. If that works, you know the problems are before the fuel pump.

Thanks it turned out to be a problem with both a pickup and packing peanuts. Seems the kids in the area were bored with sugar. Luckily I found a neighbor that noticed me working on it and knew who I should ask about it. Now I just have to go through everything again looking for an unexpected fuel supplement.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Loading…