Menu

Need a new Digital Multi Meter

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Need a new Digital Multi Meter

• Creator
    Topic
    James O'HaraJames O’Hara
    Participant

So i know the creme de la creme is Fluke. I also know Extech is pretty gd good. Long story short working during evening twilight hours and a 18,000lb tractor really do a number on a DMM. I had the UTI Bluepoint meter. Never had an issue with it until well it took on a truck and lost. I have yet to take it apart and may may be able to salvage it but, likely not. So i am looking for any experience with the meters above what models you guys suggest and if there is another brand to look into and what model you suggest for it.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      James O'HaraJames O’Hara
      Participant

I spent about 2 hrs doing some research really leaning towards a Fluke 28 II kinda wish I could get the EX version but, ain’t no tech got money like that. I may pot (aka cover with special non conductive rubber type cement) mine myself not sure. Still looking forward to peoples opinions verdicts etc.

PaulPaul
        Participant

I have an older Wavetek 15XP meter that I use for basic DC measurements. It’s a decent meter for the price, although it’s not as accurate, fast, rugged, and weatherproof as the above Fluke and it does not have a min/max feature.

Are you looking to waterproof the PCB with the potting compound? I would probably avoid potting to prevent a warranty exclusion. The non-contact voltage sensor may be impaired by the insulative properties of the potting compound. Also, the potting compound may hinder heat dissipation, which may not be an issue under most circumstances. I’ve waterproofed a few things a room-temperature curable Hysol epoxy, FWIW.

GregGreg
          Participant

I have a mac EM710 it is set up for auto functions, You can use it for a tachometer. It has temperature probes and the set came with a current loop and does all of the normal dvom functions in addition to the auto specific stuff. It was under 500 new and I have seen them on Craig list and the like for half that.

Andrew HarrisAndrew Harris
            Participant

I usually use a little one channel scope but I also work on Cars and light trucks not big ass tractors. I was looking into getting the new power probe multi meter. it is Cat-IV rated and it has data hold,min/max, and looks pretty rugged. Best part is you can get one for like 100 bucks versus what fluke wants.

ratdude747ratdude747
              Participant

UEI makes good meters if a Fluke or the like isn’t in budget. Like really good and durable. Not quite a fluke, but still plenty beefy. My only beef is that my DM393 that I use for elcrctronics and automotive repair defaults to AC, not DC. I think this is because they used to (or still do) cater to the HVAC industry.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              Loading…