Menu

Need opinion on floor jacks

Home Forums Stay Dirty Lounge Tool Talk Need opinion on floor jacks

• Creator
    Topic
    LHoangLHoang
    Participant

I’m a do it yourself type of guy and I have recently decided to buy a big floor jack. I can’t decide whether to get a 3 ton floor jack that has the max. lift height of 18 1/4 inches or a 2.5 ton Low Profile jack which has a max. lift height of 20 inches. I bought the 3 ton floor jack but I’m considering returning it and getting the 2.5 ton floor jack because it has a higher lift height. My dad has a big SUV so I figured it would be beneficial for him to have that higher lift range. But I would like your opinions please on which jack I should get/keep. Thanks!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
    • Author
      Replies
      Sang Kimskim3544
      Participant

I would go with 3-ton. Safety is a major concern here and if you need additional height, you can always add a block of 2×4 for additional height. In my experience height requirement is only an issue if you are working on removing engine or transmission. I actually have opposite problem – people are coming up with lowered car and my 3 ton jack would no go under. So I use manual jack to stretch the springs first, then use the floor jack.

LHoangLHoang
        Participant

Thanks. Yeah my mom has a BMW and it’s pretty low so I was thinking the low profile jack would be beneficial for that as well.

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
          Participant

+1 on what skim said. You can always find a way to take up the space between the jack and a higher vehicle, but that’s not the case when the jack is higher than a low clearance vehicle.

671tamuning671tamuning
            Participant

keep the 3 ton brother, unless you have issues with it….

+1 with what skim said i do the same thing for a friends rsx, which is slammed to the ground. but also to other lowered vehicles.

SarahCrazinessSarahCraziness
              Participant

loving the info here guys im going to be investing in a better floor jack i’ve been using the jack that came with my car lmao

i know it isn’t the best idea to be using it but i am investing in a more stable one =) give me more thoughts and info on jacks all comments welcomed

671tamuning671tamuning
                Participant

whats up sarah, if your a craftsman club member they send you an email letting you know of some exclusive club member deals.

There’s one coming up in 2 weeks, They do a sale for a week. then you gotta wait again for another sale.

Sometimes, I’ll see a 3 ton floor jack for $60 on sale regularly $80.

Personally my floor jack I purchased from Sam’s club for $70 its a Torin Big Red 3.5 ton. Totally decent without breaking the bank. NO problems with it, I recommend it.

Don’t ask me how high it can lift cause I never measured the highest point.

I have an older 2.5 ton from walmart that i still use, i’ve abused that quite a bit and still works great.

hope that helps…

Participant

Quoted From 671tamuning:

whats up sarah, if your a craftsman club member they send you an email letting you know of some exclusive club member deals.

There’s one coming up in 2 weeks, They do a sale for a week. then you gotta wait again for another sale.

Sometimes, I’ll see a 3 ton floor jack for $60 on sale regularly $80.

Personally my floor jack I purchased from Sam’s club for $70 its a Torin Big Red 3.5 ton. Totally decent without breaking the bank. NO problems with it, I recommend it.

Don’t ask me how high it can lift cause I never measured the highest point.

I have an older 2.5 ton from walmart that i still use, i’ve abused that quite a bit and still works great.

hope that helps…

it’s perfect but i don’t know how to become a member because the toolbox was a gift lol

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                    Participant

Quoted From SarahCraziness:

loving the info here guys im going to be investing in a better floor jack i’ve been using the jack that came with my car lmao

i know it isn’t the best idea to be using it but i am investing in a more stable one =) give me more thoughts and info on jacks all comments welcomed

That gives me chills when i see people using the trunk jack when they are under the car.
                      You can buy a 2ton floor jacks and stands pretty cheap, the pepboys near me the other day was having a sale
                      on a set that came with the jack and two stands for like $30 bucks.. Harborfreight also has good deals
                      on this stuff. And please remember people that a jack is ONLY to lift a vehicle to place it on a stand!

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                      Participant

Quoted From johnzcarz:

You and me both. Not a year goes by around here where there’s a news story about someone killed working on a vehicle, and most of the time it was something avoidable. The pros aren’t immune either – a technician was killed a few years back when he was walking in front of a vehicle when another guy reached in and tried to start it. Unfortunately it was in gear when it started and pinned the tech against the wall.

Oh.. man.
                        Thats why i yell CLEAR if anyone is around the vehicle I’m working on before i start it and
                        everyone knows not to be infront or in back of it.

Wheel chocks are another good idea for people working on their cars (i use a couple 4×4 wooden blocks)

619DioFan619DioFan
                        Participant

I have 2 floor jacks ( 2-1/4 ton craftsman and a 3 ton harbor freight ) both are about 7 years old and still work well. I find myself reaching for the the harbor freight jack first as it feels more solid then the craftsman. harbor freight is now carrying a 4 ton floor jack. planning on picking one up. also have their 3 and 6 ton jack stands and have had no issues with them either.

Participant

next paycheck it’s off to harbor freight ^^

Trcustoms719Trcustoms719
                            Participant

Yeah i have two of their 3ton stands and a 3ton jack.
                              And i use that jack more then my craftsman one also.T-)

671tamuning671tamuning
                              Participant

member for which one?

sam’s club, you just walk into any sam’s club and say you want to be a member or if you have a friend that has a membership with them, tag along and buy the jack, so you don’t have to buy the membership. But, hurry because I believe that this jack is only seasonal so, I’m not sure if they’ll have it for much longer.

for craftsman, two ways, go into any sears at checkout tell the cashier you want to be a craftsman club member OR my way is just go to craftsman.com and sign up, it’s free and then they send you a shopyourwayrewards card so you can rack up points for purchases.

I buy my stands from harbor freight also, if you receive ads in the mail, they give you coupons for a lot of tools. I bought a “rapid pump” jack from them once, it failed on me, first use, i returned it, no hassle. so, I went and invested in a more quality jack. Walmart, also has good deals on 3 ton jacks.

johnzcarzjohnzcarz
                                Participant

Quoted From Trcustoms719:

That gives me chills when i see people using the trunk jack when they are under the car.

You and me both. Not a year goes by around here where there’s a news story about someone killed working on a vehicle, and most of the time it was something avoidable. The pros aren’t immune either – a technician was killed a few years back when he was walking in front of a vehicle when another guy reached in and tried to start it. Unfortunately it was in gear when it started and pinned the tech against the wall.

LHoangLHoang
                                  Participant

Thanks guys for the expert advice! i’ve kept my 3 ton floor jack. (bought from harbor freight by the way)

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  Loading…